Hairballs?

chromecat

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hi there, Felipe is now 18 weeks old and we've had him for two weeks. Friends told me that hairballs are quite usual and we should expect Felipe to throw up a hairball here and there... but it hasn't happened yet! He is a DSH, and I do groom him almost every day with a rubber glove (will get a more professional one when he grows up).

Is it normal that it didn't happen yet? Is there a way to prevent it?

He is pooping regularly by the way (always at night, always between 10pm and midnight, which amazes me).

abyeb

Charlie's Purrson
Veteran
Purraise
It's a good thing he doesn't throw up hairballs! When a cat grooms themselves, they swallow bits of hair. Normally, these pass through as stool, but occasionally when there is too much hair in the cat's stomach, they vomit it up, which is a hairball. Grooming him daily is probably what is keeping him from vomiting hairballs, because when you groom you remove loose hair that he would otherwise swallow. Some cat owners feed laxatone (which comes in treat form, so cats will eat it readily), or egg yolk lecithin to prevent hairballs.

Ardina

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Kittens are not quite as thorough as adult cats at grooming. So I wouldn't expect hairballs quite yet! Shorthairs also don't tend to have them as much as longhairs either. Keep grooming often, and hopefully he won't have them.

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Veteran
Purraise
I'm not a vet but a DSH kitten , short hair being the operative word, wouldn't be having hairballs yet even if he's licking himself excessively which I'm guessing he's not. You're doing the exact things necessary to help avoid them as much as possible. If by chance down the road you do see frequent hairballs you could consider a treat for that. I've tried them and I didn't see any difference. Anyway thanks so much for coming here and being such a caring cat person! His regularity is great by the way!

MajesticFloof

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Charlie used to throw them up and he was a shorthair (indoors). Violet hasn't brought any up in the 4 months we've had her, she is medium/long haired and constantly grooming. We've brushed both of them pretty much daily. Maybe it depends on their digestive system. Charlie also was much older and I think the vomiting furballs happened more as he got sick. Not a professional opinion, just from what i've dealt with. He may not bring up furballs. If he does perhaps look at changing foods particularily aimed at furball issues.