Hairball Question.

luvmyparker

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm used to dealing with Parker coughing up hairballs and stuff. I give him the hairball paste and it passes. However, this time, the problem is with Sami. She starts coughing sometimes when we pick her up. She'll do this for a few minutes and then stop. The last two times this happened, she almost got it up (I could see it in her mouth. Gross, I know) but then she swallowed it again. I've been giving her the paste every day to see if it helps, but she just keeps swallowing it, instead of just getting it out. Any ideas of what might help her pass it? The paste seems to help it up, but what good is it if she wont let it come out? I mean, if she has to go back to the vet, then so be it...but I'd rather try to deal with it here, if possible.

blueyedgirl5946

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
You might try adding a little canned pumpkin to his food. Just be sure it is plain pumpkin with no additives like spices etc.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

luvmyparker

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Will that help it come up? Or come out the other end? I just don't want to see it stuck in there.

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
TIme for a vet check it could be not a hairball issue... Do they eat mostly grain free wet?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

luvmyparker

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Parker is on the grain-free, Sami and Buddy eat the cheap stuff (not really my cats, unfortunately I can't afford to feed them too. Besides, she is almost 18, not much point in changing now). Sami was just to the vet last week. I'm pretty sure it is a hairball though, since I actually saw it when her mouth was open and she was gagging... Once it gets that far, she swallows, forcing it back down.