hairball help, high fiber kibble

ldg

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Why not try a hairball control cat food? I use the Brand : Hairball Control Chicken & Brown Rice  made by Drs.Foster and Smith. I use alot of thier products as the company is owned by Veterinarians. Have you tried any type of organic wheat grass?
Because hairball control cat foods are based on the theory that high fiber will help resolve the problem, and high fiber diets are not healthy for cats. Almost every post in this thread addresses that very point. Cats are obligate carnivores.

The food you are feeding http://www.drsfostersmith.com/product/prod_display.cfm?pcatid=10076 states:

"Extra vegetable fiber in this real chicken cat food helps moves hair through cat's digestive system," and

"Wholesome fruits, vegetables, and grains provide essential vitamins and minerals, plus antioxidant nutrients"

Yet cats do not eat fruits, vegetables, or grains. Ever seen a cat raiding the vegetable garden?

Otto pointed out "High fiber dry foods are not good for cats. Cats bodies are not designed for that kind of bulk in their diet. It can lead to serious problems such as megacolon and chronic constipation."

Sugarcatmom provided this link: http://healthypets.mercola.com/site.../02/fiber-rich-diets-for-overweight-cats.aspx

Violet provided this one: http://consciouscat.net/2010/04/28/some-startling-new-thoughts-on-cats-and-hairballs/

There are a lot of reasons not to feed a hairball control kibble. :(

cannegardner

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Agreed with all said. "Normal" healthy cats do not get hairballs. Wild cats do not get hairballs. Cats are designed to eat hair, skin, bone, etc. and groom themselves. Cats fed a good nutritional species appropriate diet do not shed much. Combing and such helps for the long hair breeds, but diet is the real important thing. Dry food, no matter the kind, is not good for a cat's system. The occasional nibble of kibble isn't going to harm but should not be their main food. They need moisture with their food which helps keep the hair moving through the gut. Moisture and Meat. Drinking water does not do this. Small amounts of fiber found in good quality canned cat foods are actually beneficial. Too much is not. As for grass, cats eat grass because they like it and or need it in some small way. Studies are few on the subject of grass, but all cats, even wild ones eat it and it's not to make themselves throw up. I add a little fresh oat grass to my cats canned food once or twice a week and he grazes the pot of grass on his own. He has never thrown up. He has never had problems with hairballs. You can try pumpkin and grass, but make sure you don't overdo it. More does not mean better in this case. The hairball pastes are made from petroleum = crude oil. How can that be a good thing to ingest? Also, several small wet meals throughout the day are better than free feeding or forcing the animal to gorge in one or two meals. Smalls meals keep the gut lubricated. Mice birds bugs and rodents are very very small, and feral cats - like mine was -- eat as many as they can catch in a day. Sometimes it's one or two, sometimes it's 7-10.

Cat food can make you crazy. I had the help of a friend who has their BA and is a certified animal nutritionist.

I had to go out and find this hairball article, not sure if anyone posted this or not. Very informative. http://consciouscat.net/2012/04/26/when-hairballs-are-more-than-just-hairballs/

Last edited:
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

mrsh

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
UPDATE!  Sweet Kitty is improving, and the other two cats are better than ever!  We've been on our new regimen for just over three weeks now.

Sweet Kitty went from daily hairballs to only one in the past two weeks, and Merlin isn't dry heaving anymore!!  That's a HUGE improvement here!  Everyone's coats are silkier and shinier, no more dandruff when I brush them, and they are all happier and more energetic.

We're sticking with the Blue Buffalo Wilderness grain-free kibble twice a day and everyone is tolerating it well. They go bonkers for it, it keeps them full for much longer than the Purina One Sensitive, and litter box odor has decreased significantly!  We do wet food occasionally but sometimes they all get diarrhea afterward so we haven't made it a staple.

Yesterday I got a FURminator.  I was skeptical at first but this thing is truly incredible.  You would never believe how much "underbrush" gets missed by a slicker brush. I used it on Sweet Kitty and released an unbelievable amount of loose fur.  She purred the whole time.  Maybe it's wishful thinking, but today her coat already looks shinier and healthier.  I can only assume that this will help maintain the hairball control.

Overall these kitties are much healthier and happier.  Thanks for your help, everyone!

Here's a before-and-after of Sweet Kitty.  Look at that shine!