Hair question

barry hayward

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I have 2 cats. The mom George, as in curious George and her daughter S.N.E.A.K (super-natural extra adorable kitty). The mom is a 40 month old cat that has gone outside from day one, and her baby is a live in cat and hasn't been out ever. George is constantly shedding hair, winter and summer, and Sneak never shed's at all. If anything I would say that it should be the other way around. Anyone care to venture an answer?

GoldyCat

Staff Member
Purraise
Every cat is different. I have 7 rescue cats and an abyssinian, all shorthair, all indoor only cats. Two of them do about 95% of the shedding. One of the shedders and one of the non-shedders are littermates. The other shedder is the mother of two non-shedders. Diet can make a huge difference in how much a cat sheds, but no matter what you do some cats are simply going to shed more than others. :dk:

Last edited:

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I guess I never thought much about it.  Noodles sheds a lot.  Her fur is very fine; though she is short haired.  Mooch (her litter mate) doesn't shed nearly as much.  They eat the same things too.  If Noodles finds my pile of clean laundry I will know about it.  If she finds the towels I have to wash them again.  It's like rubbing my wet face directly on her body.  DH is allergic to cats and just hates that fur stuck to your face feeling.  It might be better if I brushed her more often; but I'm not as diligent off season and she is moody so I only get a little done at a time before she gets mad at me. 

orientalslave

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Combing or using a slicker brush are much more effective than brushing at removing lose hair.  Brushes tend to skate over the surface.