Hair Loss

SamIAm3166

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hey guys! Two years ago our dog passed away. We have two cats and figured it was time to get a new pup for the family . Our cats had been around dogs their entire lives so we didn't think much of it.

But my male cat, Li Shou is starting to worry me. When the puppy first came into the house Li Shou was vomiting a lot. I figured it was stress, and eventually that went away. But now he's losing the hair on his back legs and under his tail... Is it likely that this is still him stressing because of the dog? I would hate to have to re-home the puppy, but frankly the cats were here first and are very well loved by my kids... I don't want them to get sick or waste away. Not sure how to handle this. Do you guys have any experience with a cat behaving this way with a new addition?

abyeb

Charlie's Purrson
Veteran
Purraise
Have you noticed him grooming more than usual? Overgrooming can be caused by stress. There are other reasons for furloss in cats, too, including fleas, allergies, and infection, so I’d recommend getting him checked out at the vet.

Skin Conditions In Cats

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
How long has the pup been there, and how did you introduce them? That can certainly cause stress. ANY change in a cat's environment can (and usually does) cause a certain amount of stress. Hekitty is upset for a few days if I move furniture! And a high-energy pup could certainly do it! The fact that the cats knew and got along with past dogs doesn't mean automatic acceptance of a NEW dog, that's a different beast (literally) entirely! I'm going to vote for a vet-check here, just to rule out allergies and such.

You might find these helpful:

How To Safely Introduce A Cat And A Dog
How To Fix An Unsuccessful Cat Introduction (this is about two cats, but some of the information will carry over, and I thought you should have it)

Potential Stressors In Cats - The Ultimate Checklist
Is Your Cat Stressed Out?
Six Surefire Strategies To Reduce Stress In Cats

This isn't as much reading as it looks to be. The articles are clear, concise, and easy to follow. Hope they help you!