Hair loss on back & tail

Meezerville

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Good morning,

I have two indoor Siamese that we adopted from the SPCA 6 years ago.

They have never gone outside and are treated with Bravecto for fleas. We never see fleas inside nor on their coats. They are brushed daily. Their diet has not changed. All vaccinations are current.

My male cat has developed hair thinning on the top of his back near his tail and at the top part of the base of his tail. I have never seen him groom excessively, nor does his sister groom him excessively. his skin is not broken, nor does it appear red or irritated, other then it feels warmer to the touch where the hair is thin. His veterinarian has found no health issue and put him on Purina Fortiflora, which he has been on for 90 days. Some hair grew back, and then thinned again.

We haven't changed their food. My husband thinks he is a little high strung, I think he is a normal Siamese cat.

I would be interested in any comments or suggestions if someone has had a similar issue please?

verna davies

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
One of my cats had exactly the same thing years ago. As the vet found no health issues he put it down to stress. The cat that lived next door to me used to bully him and had passed away 3 months earlier. My cat couldn't understand where this nasty cat was, expecting him to jump out at any time and started stressing about it.
Has anything changed within the last couple of months, move of house, someone new in the house, visitors, work being carried out, even something small can unsettle cats. Give him plenty of reassurance.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Meezerville

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Good morning and thank you for your reply. Thank you for the suggestion of my reassurance. He only seems slightly stressed when his wet food treat is due. Did your kitty get better, have some return hair growth?

verna davies

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
He was fine, all the fur grew back thickly within three months, it was just a case of finding the reason for the stress. Good luck, hope your cat will have his coat back to normal soon.