Hair loss and black fur around nose?

Bellbird

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi everyone,

I have noticed that my 12 weeks old kitten has some sparse hair on both side of her head (between eyes and ears) symmetrically. There is also a black ring of fur around her nose - not sure if it's hair loss or staining? Does anyone know what this is, whether it is permanent and whether there's any treatment for it? Any advice would be much appreciated, thank you.

Attachments

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
Welcome to The Cat Site! What an adorable little baby she is. This kind of hair loss can be normal, more often in older cats, but still not a cause for concern. However, we are only looking at a pic and can't diagnose from that, so watch for anything else that seems to accompany this like itching, skin changes, seeming allergic reactions to anything, crusty skin and consult your vet. If this spread to an area which is not normal, same thing, call the vet.

mrsgreenjeens

Every Life Should Have Nine Cats
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
As far as the ring of black fur around her nose, to you mean on the top of her nose, just below the bridge of the nose? I'm having a bit difficulty actually seeing it, but think I might see a circle where I indicated. I'm not familiar with Scottish Folds (that's what she is, right?) to know if that is something related to their breed. Can you send this picture to the breeder and ask?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Bellbird

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
As far as the ring of black fur around her nose, to you mean on the top of her nose, just below the bridge of the nose? I'm having a bit difficulty actually seeing it, but think I might see a circle where I indicated. I'm not familiar with Scottish Folds (that's what she is, right?) to know if that is something related to their breed. Can you send this picture to the breeder and ask?
Thank you so much for your advise, I have asked my breeder and he told me it is normal for some silver shaded cats to have silver fur on their nose!
20210818_121733.jpg

mrsgreenjeens

Every Life Should Have Nine Cats
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Glad everything is as it should be then. She is so adorable :loveeyes: