hair fall

newkittenh

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Ok, so , we had to travel for about 4 days and we left our kitten at place they call an hotel for cats.Its where each cat gets a whole room all alone and a veterinarian takes care of them and they only get food , so we got really worried so we got him games and toys to play with , and i know its not right to leave our kitten specially that he's nearly two months old all alone as he got used to having people with him in his room but we had to.
Anyway , my kitten never actually meowed except when he's like so hungry and we can't seem to understand but there as we left him inside we heard him scream and meow for the first time ever with deep hard loud baby voice of his and i actually cried but i had to go. We called the hotel everyday and the veterinarian kept telling us that he stopped meowing after a day and a half and started playing although when we went to get him he was still screaming to death , and the veterinarian said "maybe he just smelled you or sth!" I don't know but i don't think I believe that,i think he didn't stop for 4 days cos' he does get stubborn alot.
Anyway we brought him home and he was really happy and for the first time he sticks to us to get that much grooming from our hands , he would push his face into our hands too hard and let us groom him till he sleeps.
My considering right now is actually about the way he is,is he ok doing all this? Would he might feel that we punished him by leaving him there? And he we're more considered about his hair fall,he never got that much hair fall since the first time i ever brushed him , he's a siamese and a sherazian mix breed , so that much hair? Is it ok?How do i know if he's just changing hair and nothing really bad?and if it isn't then why?and i think he's still whether scared or worried?

zed xyzed

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Some cats lose hair when stressed. My mother's cat has a beautiful black coat and at home when you brush him there is nothing on the brush. At the vet the table is covered in fur and when you put him it just falls out. 

molly92

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Your cat was obviously stressed, but as long as he didn't pick up a cold or anything (which you would probably notice symptoms of by now), he'll make a full recovery! 

Cats meow to get your attention, so I think the vet was probably right that he could smell you and was trying to tell you to take him home! He doesn't think you were punishing him. Cats don't think like that. He was confused at the situation, but he is just glad to home. Cats are actually very forgiving. They forgive a lot of horrible (but necessary!) stuff we do to them that I'm sure I wouldn't if I were in their position! My cat sometimes gets extra affectionate when I come back from vacation, but that wears off in a few days, so that sounds normal. He'll probably hide or pitch a fit the next time you try to put him in a carrier to go somewhere, but otherwise he'll be perfectly trusting as long as he doesn't think he's about to be taken back to the vet.

Kittens go through different shedding patterns as they grow and their adult fur comes in. How that tends to work varies depending on the cat and breed, but stress can definitely trigger shedding. (Cats shed as a defensive mechanism. If a predator was trying to grab them by the fur, the fur would fall out and the cat could get away). The visit could have just jump started the shedding process that he was about due for anyway. I would not be worried!

Cats usually do best staying in their own home rather than being boarded, so in the future if you can have a pet sitter or neighbor come over a couple times a day to feed and play with him that would be less stressful for him. There's also the risk of cats catching minor illnesses from each other in a boarding situation, which is why I'm not a fan, but of course circumstances don't always work out perfectly and you have to do what you have to do. Your cat knows you love him and take care of him and he will forgive you.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

newkittenh

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thanks so much , i feel that he's now better , i believe it could be stress as you guys said. I would never have left him at the vet if had the choice to leave him home ,i just couldn't! We were travelling for a few days and we couldn't have left him home alone that long ,he would have gotten frustrated! Also what scared me at first was the fact that i thought he would be with other cats but when i found out he'd be in a room all alone ,i felt glad yet stressed out again cos he got used to having us with him, but i had to do it ,so i called the vet everyday to let him out between the rooms for a while everyday , thats why i was kinda relieved!!
Thanks so much again for calming me down!