Hair Balls

cecekinglove123

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
How do you control your cat's hair balls besides brushing (how often they cough them up)?

Is there a special food or treats your cat should take?

Thank you for anyone who can answer.

ln6271

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
My cats love Petromalt and it does seem to help them break up the hairballs.

cat person

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I brush my DLH (Domestic Long Hair) one or two times a week. It depends on how much, she, will allow it. Since, she is terminally ill, I am not sure, if, the amount of hair balls she "brings up" is average or not. But, Panda will vomit up two to five hairballs a month. Now, I use Petromalt in the fish flavor. Since, she will consume that flavor "willingly".

Last edited:

orientalslave

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Brushing doesn't help as the brush tends to skate over the top of the fur.  You need to comb your cat, and/or use a slicker brush which does get through the coat.  What type of comb will work best (wide teeth, narrow teeth) depends on your cat's coat.

cat person

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
<snipped> You need to comb your cat, and/or use a slicker brush which does get through the coat.<snipped>
I meant to say slicker brush
. That is something all my  cats LOVE! No matter if, they are: DSH, DLH, or exotic hybrid they all enjoy the "slicker brush treatment". Does anyone else, have similar experiences?

Last edited:

dejolane

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My cats Bella and Thunder have short hair and are always cleaning themselves. Licking their fur all the time. They haven't coughed up a hair ball before. Why do cats lick their fur so much ?

dejolane

orientalslave

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I meant to say slicker brush
. That is something all my  cats LOVE! No matter if, they are: DSH, DLH, or exotic hybrid they all enjoy the "slicker brush treatment". Does anyone else, have similar experiences?
I had a DSH who had a shortish but very thick coat that really did need grooming, and he hated combs but loved the slicker brush.

cat person

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I had a DSH who had a shortish but very thick coat that really did need grooming, and he hated combs but loved the slicker brush.
Yea, not one of my cats would accept being combed. Oddly, at least to me, they LOVE the slicker brush,

Last edited:
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

cecekinglove123

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thank you!!!!!!!!!!!! I will try Petromalt.

huntercats

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Funny. I've never actually seen a cat cough up a hairball. I've seen vomit. And I've seen it doing that gagging thing but never actually seen a hairball. I'm obviously new. Lol