haemobartonella felis

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

crimmie

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise

first, i'm soooo very happy to read that your crimmie now has an e-tube! i've been away from my computer all day, and you and crimmie have been in my thoughts.

and that your girl is doing well with the feedings too -- is great!

i'm not familiar with O ring syringes. however, i use calvetsuppy dot com to order some of my girl's supplies as well as thrivingpets dot com. here looks like what you're talking about, but calvet seems to only have up to 10cc sized -- http://www.calvetsupply.com/product/2049/Feeding_Syringes   they're extremely inexpensive, so maybe you could load up a couple syringes with food and then do a quick switch when you finish the first one -- when your crimmie is able to handle more than 10cc's at a time. i just checked amazon, and they have O ring syringes from sellers there too -- http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_n...h=i:aps,k:o+ring+syringes&tag=&tag=thecatsite
Thanks for thinking of us <3

...I will check at site out!!  Most of the o rings I saw on amazon are "not available". :(

My vet used a red 12fr foley for her tube and the kitty kollar site says the only size they have to fit a red foley is 60ml...too big for me or my Son to push.  I will keep looking!!

crimmie

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Today started out rough.  I pushed her meds first thing this morning.  It got clogged and now her white chin and neck are stained a lovely florescent yellow

The next two feedings were more of the same...plugged tube, restless Crimmie, gaging....I was getting really frustrated all I was able to get in her all day was a total of 4ml of food and 6ml of water for flushing.  At one point she was laying on the living room floor.  I sat down next to her and just started petting her and hooking up her feeding at the same time.  I was able to push all 10ml without a problem!!  I think it's positional.  She gets uncomfortable, I get uncomfortable trying to hold her upright to let gravity help...and it just doesn't work.

I have to go to her, let her lay wherever she is laying and just take it slow and steady.  I was able to do it again about a half hour ago

I do wish there was some kind of connector on the end of her tube.  My syringes fit in there, but not snug.  They want to come out as soon as I start pushing food.  I have to use both hands to keep the syringe in the tube, and also try to prevent her from darting off.  Any suggestions?  I have been looking for something on line...some kind of connector/adapter/cap thing that will fit into a 12fr red rubber feeding tube.  I can use luer lock tips if I need to...I just can't seem to find what I'm looking for.

mrsgreenjeens

Every Life Should Have Nine Cats
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Did you see that Y-Port  on syringe ordering page at KittyKollar?  Would something like that work to make the opening in her tube smaller?  Gosh...sorry it's not working out so well with the syringes available.  Is there any way you and your son TOGETHER could use a 60 ml syringe...maybe you hold it and he slowly push, or vice versa, until you can come up with another plan. 

crimmie

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise

Did you see that Y-Port  on syringe ordering page at KittyKollar?  Would something like that work to make the opening in her tube smaller?  Gosh...sorry it's not working out so well with the syringes available.  Is there any way you and your son TOGETHER could use a 60 ml syringe...maybe you hold it and he slowly push, or vice versa, until you can come up with another plan. 
That Y port might just be perfect, but it doesn't look like they sell them...just describe them in the picture.

My Son would be feeding her while I'm at work so I need to get something smaller...

The 10ml slip tips that I have are working ok right now.  I guess I should just hope that she won't need the tube in for much longer and I won't need to buy more syringes...One can hope, right?!!

micknsnicks2mom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

That Y port might just be perfect, but it doesn't look like they sell them...just describe them in the picture.

My Son would be feeding her while I'm at work so I need to get something smaller...

The 10ml slip tips that I have are working ok right now.  I guess I should just hope that she won't need the tube in for much longer and I won't need to buy more syringes...One can hope, right?!!
could you try calling the kitty collar people? and ask them what size Y port fits. or, you could try calling your vet's and ask them what size Y port will fit in your crimmie's tube -- or what size tube crimmie has, so you'll know what size Y port will fit in it (though there may be some figuring out of that necessary).

either that, or simply buy more syringes. i say that because you've got a lot going on right now, so simple/easier may be better. do you have a spare syringe? i'm a big believer in having a spare of anything that's very important. i'd have a spare or few syringes, just in case one broke in the middle of the night or when your vet is closed or such.

crimmie

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
 I have 9 syringes right now.  And that's ok for now, but as she starts to be able to tolerate more, I would like to be able to go up to a 20ml-35ml size.

Her tube is 12 fr.

micknsnicks2mom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

Today started out rough.  I pushed her meds first thing this morning.  It got clogged and now her white chin and neck are stained a lovely florescent yellow

The next two feedings were more of the same...plugged tube, restless Crimmie, gaging....I was getting really frustrated all I was able to get in her all day was a total of 4ml of food and 6ml of water for flushing.  At one point she was laying on the living room floor.  I sat down next to her and just started petting her and hooking up her feeding at the same time.   I was able to push all 10ml without a problem!!  I think it's positional.  She gets uncomfortable, I get uncomfortable trying to hold her upright to let gravity help...and it just doesn't work.

I have to go to her, let her lay wherever she is laying and just take it slow and steady.   I was able to do it again about a half hour ago
you're doing really well.

this is the same general idea as when i give my snick her sub-q fluids. let her get comfy, petting/scritches and words of comfort, then i give snick her fluids while continuing to comfort her. after the sub-q's i always tell snick how good she was and how brave, and how proud i am of her.

crimmie

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise

you're doing really well.

this is the same general idea as when i give my snick her sub-q fluids. let her get comfy, petting/scritches and words of comfort, then i give snick her fluids while continuing to comfort her. after the sub-q's i always tell snick how good she was and how brave, and how proud i am of her.
Thank you 

Honestly, I think it has a lot to do with ME being calm.  And I'm not calm when she is uncomfortable or stressed out.

Ok, off to attempt another 10ml of half calories, half water...*sigh*

Last edited:

micknsnicks2mom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

I have 9 syringes right now.  And that's ok for now, but as she starts to be able to tolerate more, I would like to be able to go up to a 20ml-35ml size.

Her tube is 12 fr.
so, would you be able to contact a company that sells Y ports, give them the 12fr tube size, and they tell you what size Y port will fit in it? does the Y port need to be a specific size on the end that the 20ml-35ml syringe is inserted/attached?

micknsnicks2mom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

Thank you 

Honestly, I think it has a lot to do with ME being calm.  And I'm not calm when she is uncomfortable or stressed out.

oh, i can totally understand that. i find it very hard to be calm when my snick is restless or a little stressed when being given her sub-q's too.

mrsgreenjeens

Every Life Should Have Nine Cats
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise

Thank you 

oh, i can totally understand that. i find it very hard to be calm when my snick is restless or a little stressed when being given her sub-q's too.
Yep, right there with both of you

micknsnicks2mom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
@crimmie -- i thought i'd check to see how your crimmie is doing?

edited to add:  i found your 'update' thread. sorry, i've had some involved computer issues lately and didn't see the update thread right away.

Last edited: