had to rescue a senior cat known for peeing on carpets/rugs...poops in litter fine

cats4sky

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
i knew he had the problem when i adopted him and i was hoping since maybe he was neglected in his other home he would pee in litter boxes here too but not the case. found out he was peeing in the tub and my bathroom carpets were saturated. i bagged it up and have it in the wash with vinegar and a dash of detergent, also mopped the entire floor with vinegar and did the tub. from now on im keeping the bathroom door closed. keeping clothes off the floor and in the closet. i only have a few small carpets in the house he wont pee on the hardwood floors but i know he's peeing on the blankets. my worst fear is going to work smelling like cat pee.

any advice? my other cats dont do this. only thing i can think of is keep clothes of the floor and wash blankies with vinegar and deal with it.

and yes he is fixed.

Last edited:

catpack

TCS Veteran
Kitten
Purraise
Has he been thoroughly checked for any possible medical cause (UTI, diabetes, kidney issues, etc...)? Is he declawed?

Have you tried Cat Attract litter? Critter Care bedding as litter? Puppy pee pads in a tray?

With him bring a senior, it's really going to be hard to correct this if it is behavioral. But, certainly give the above a try if you haven't already.