Had to put flea stuff on my cats

otto

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Ugh! I HATE having to use this stuff on them. But I can't risk an infestation. They don't have fleas. They never have fleas. But I spent the day at a flea infested house, and I know, in spite of my efforts I brought them home with me.

After I left the flea infested house I: Sprayed my car with a spray I had picked up in the emergency. After spraying I stopped at the car wash and vacuumed my entire car and changed my clothes and shoes and put the contaminated ones in a bag.. That spray I bought was useless. Even after vacuuming, I kept having fleas jump on me all the way home. When I got home I took everything off but my underwear, came inside and got the box of diatomaceous earth and went back out and shook it all over my car, then I will vacuum it again tomorrow. Put all my clothes right in the washer, and got in the shower.

But still, all it takes is bringing in one flea or one egg, so I had to put that poison on my cats.

Mazy takes no notice. Queen Eva hops around and manages to lick it, even though I put it high on the back of her head. I distracted her with play until it dried.

Jennie is the one I feel the worst for. She just seems to be devastated by it. She doesn't try to lick it or scratch at it, she just walks around, belly to the ground, flinching from me, looking mournful and betrayed.

I hated doing it, I hate putting that stuff on them, they haven't had it since when I rescued Queen Eva. But it had to be done. I hope one month is enough.

peaches08

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
So sorry you're dealing with this. For what it's worth I only had to treat my cats once with Capstar and Revolution and that was it. I didn't even treat the house.

Maybe give an "I'm sorry" snack like sardines?

pushylady

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Definitely treat time!
I hate having to put Advantage on them in the summer, but we take them for walks outside almost every day and the chances are they'll pick up something otherwise. It's so much better IMO than a flea infestation.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

otto

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thank you for your support! I put it on them as they were eating their PMR supper meal. It was after they ate that Queen Eva and Jennie started their drama act.

When I rescued Queen Eva she was so infested, I actually treated the resident cats the day before I brought her home. I brought her home on a Sunday but I didn't know if she was big enough (weight wise) for any treatment so after I bathed her I spent the day in the bathroom with her, constantly wet combing the fleas off her and drowning them. I brought her to the vet the next day and she got a capstar and 24 hours later I gave her a kitten revolution treatment. But I continued to treat for four more months after that, all of them, just to be sure.

That was three years ago and I haven't had to do it since. Until today.

Tomorrow I will dust with DE in the house and vacuum it within an inch of it's life. I probably should do it tonight, but I am just too exhausted.

Does the DE kill eggs too, or just adult fleas?

Pushylady, thanks for fixing my title. :wavey:

Last edited: