Had to put down a Feral :-(

feralmum

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
so very Sad.. i just had to have one of my ferals put down.. she went missing for a couple of weeks.. was not showing up for the feedings... she had been spayed and vaccinated ..

she came staggering down the driveway.. the vet said she was in liver failure.. none of the rest of the colony looks sick.. 

Sad in phoenix.. :(

Norachan

Staff Member
Purraise
I'm so sorry to hear this. It's always so sad when we lose one of our cats, but with ferals it's even more heartbreaking because there is only so much they will allow us to do to help them.

Does the vet know what caused her liver failure? Could she have eaten something toxic? At this time of year people are using weed killers and pesticides in the garden, even rubbing up against long grass that has been sprayed can make a cat sick.

Hope the rest of your colony stay healthy.

Big hug, thank you for all you are doing for them.

supermax1943

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
So sad for you. My heart breaks for each one. Bless you for giving her care and love. How wonderful that she came to you at the end. That has happened in my colony...one of the most feral of the colony came to me when he was sick.

The bond between all of us who care for these special cats and the cats themselves is so strong. Sometimes we forget how much they really depend on us because they seem so capable. But, still and all, they are just sweet little balls of fur, with huge hearts and souls surrounded by a fiercely independent nature.

My thoughts go out to you.

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise

So sad for you. My heart breaks for each one. Bless you for giving her care and love. How wonderful that she came to you at the end. That has happened in my colony...one of the most feral of the colony came to me when he was sick.

The bond between all of us who care for these special cats and the cats themselves is so strong. Sometimes we forget how much they really depend on us because they seem so capable. But, still and all, they are just sweet little balls of fur, with huge hearts and souls surrounded by a fiercely independent nature.

My thoughts go out to you.
A nice bonus with this phenomena is, if they DO survive that crisis, they become socialized.  The big Window of easy socialization wide open when they are kittens,  is opened again.

When they are severely sick or wounded, you give them care, and they know it - preferably themselves actively had seeking your help.

The drawback is its extra devastating if they dont make it, even although you fight for them and their life with all your might.

My condoleascenses.