Had to make one of the HARDEST decisions....

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

liza24

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by white cat lover

Have you spoke to & worked with your vet on this?

My Ophelia is on Buspar. Keeps her from killing other cats long enough for me to move out.... Honestly, I'm all for meds, in a case like Ophelia. I mean, she was not happy before, scared/nervous, now she's relaxed. She plays a lot, purrs, wants to be petted.....she's happy.
i will look into that. my vet isnt into " meds" for cats like that, so its been slow going. hes the one that told me if they dont like each other by now, they are not going to.

calico2222

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Drugs are a good temporary solution. Actually, we give Monster low doses of valium when we see, or think she is going to get stressed (she has seizures and takes phenobarbitol everyday). Talk to your vet and see if there is anything you can give them short term to lower their aggression. As they get to know each other, you can probably start weaning them off the medication and they may just realize the new guys aren't so bad after all. It shouldn't be too expensive. A 30 day supply of valium for Monster is $4.00.

It's worth a shot. We're just trying to help you figure out how to keep all of them and still keep your sanity.

liza24

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by calico2222

Drugs are a good temporary solution. Actually, we give Monster low doses of valium when we see, or think she is going to get stressed (she has seizures and takes phenobarbitol everyday). Talk to your vet and see if there is anything you can give them short term to lower their aggression. As they get to know each other, you can probably start weaning them off the medication and they may just realize the new guys aren't so bad after all. It shouldn't be too expensive. A 30 day supply of valium for Monster is $4.00.

It's worth a shot. We're just trying to help you figure out how to keep all of them and still keep your sanity.
and i thank you, believe me, its been torture for me, believe ME. i have had to take a Xanax myself, cause i am freaked about doing the right thing.

what about trying something like this??

http://www.petco.com/product/6441/Good-Cat.aspx

calico2222

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Liza24

and i thank you, believe me, its been torture for me, believe ME. i have had to take a Xanax myself, cause i am freaked about doing the right thing.

what about trying something like this??

http://www.petco.com/product/6441/Good-Cat.aspx
I'd say it's worth a shot! This is the first I've seen it, but I don't think it would hurt to try.

liza24

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
on payday i will go get some, they only carry it at Petco or Petsmart, and im broke now after everything,lol.

carolpetunia

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
You might also talk to a different vet -- maybe one that's interested in alternative methods. The only two vets I've ever known who made such sweeping dismissals as the one you were given... well, they were not good vets, in my opinion. (One of them also told us, when Dylan was a kitten, that when he nipped us while playing, we should immediately put him in a cage and ignore him for the rest of the day!)

natalie_ca

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

the other hard part for me is that i have wanted Birman cats for over 10 years, just never been able to afford them. So when the woman called me, i was OVERJOYED. Thats the other reason this is so hard
I'm sorry, but I don't agree with you rehoming the resident cats and keeping the new ones.

The cats got along fine with everyone before the new cats came and that's when the problem started.

Instead of rehoming the 2 resident cats, you need to rehome the 2 new ones if you are going to rehome any of them.

What ever happened to loyalty? Your 2 resident cats have provided you with unconditional love and loyalty and you are willing to turn them out on their ears in order to keep 2 cats of a breed that you have been wanting?

Sorry, I don't agree with that. Your loyalty belongs to the 2 resident cats. IMHO you should contact the breeder and tell her/him that it's not working out and you want to return the 2 new cats.

liza24

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Natalie_ca

I'm sorry, but I don't agree with you rehoming the resident cats and keeping the new ones.

The cats got along fine with everyone before the new cats came and that's when the problem started.

Instead of rehoming the 2 resident cats, you need to rehome the 2 new ones if you are going to rehome any of them.

What ever happened to loyalty? Your 2 resident cats have provided you with unconditional love and loyalty and you are willing to turn them out on their ears in order to keep 2 cats of a breed that you have been wanting?

Sorry, I don't agree with that. Your loyalty belongs to the 2 resident cats. IMHO you should contact the breeder and tell her/him that it's not working out and you want to return the 2 new cats.
um your wrong, and i asked a FEW times, if you dont have advice, then dont breate me, so your post is not of use. Read ALL my posts before you yell at me.

ping

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Liza24 you kinda have to accept that people are gonna have strong opinions on this. Many people have rescue cats in their home either from the street or shelter or because someone just had to rehome them. This post is gonna upset some people.

Many people have given you suggestions on how to hopefully make this work. And if none of that works like many of us have said the new guys should be rehomed not the resident cats. Sorry but people are gonna feel strongly about that.

natalie_ca

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

um your wrong, and i asked a FEW times, if you dont have advice, then dont breate me, so your post is not of use. Read ALL my posts before you yell at me.
I did read all of this thread, including every one of your posts before I made my reply.

The fact of the matter remains is that you have 2 resident cats that were getting along fine with everyone until you brought in 2 new cats. Now they get along well with everyone except those 2 new cats, and instead of rehoming the new cats, you want to rehome the 2 resident cats.

Your loyalty should be to the 2 resident cats.

alwaysaangel

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Liza, maybe if you explain better to us why your ultimate solution (if nothing else works) is to give up the resident cats instead of the new ones - we would understand better and people could let that go.

I mean in general, I agree with the others - you've had your resident cats for 1 year and 2 years. After that I would LOVE those kitties and never be able to part. If I brought in two new cats for 6 weeks I would be no where near as attached to them as the resident cats. Yes it would be unfortunate to rehome them but it would also be easier on me and easier to do than to rehome your residents (since they're pure breeds I'm sure people would jump at the chance to take them - like you did).

I mean hopefully you can keep all of them, but if not and you still think giving up the resident cats is the solution - maybe if you explain why you feel that way - you will feel less attacked by those who disagree with you.

Most of us just can't imagine giving up cats we've had for years (I assuming since they were kittens) to keep a couple of purebreeds that you haven't even had for 2 months. It does sound unfair - but maybe we're not hearing the whole story. So if you explain - those posts will stop.

And I know your previous explanation was that the old kitties were the "problem" but they're not. Take the new kitties away and theres no more problem. That means that those new kitties are the problem, not your old ones. So that explanation doesn't really work. Really we're trying to understand how you feel so we can sympathize - but I think right now a lot of us just don't get where you're coming from.

And it occurs to me that if you rehome your old cats they may have some behavioral problems when it comes to EVER accepting new animals in their new home because their last owner gave them away when new animals came. Pets remember stuff like that, and it can hurt them and they're future behavior. Being rehomed at all is really hard on a pet, but associating that action with the arrival of a different pet would be worse. The new pure breeds wouldn't suffer the same ill effects if they were rehomed again (especially if they are just returned to the breeder) because they were only there for 6 weeks and never really settled.

carolpetunia

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Maybe I missed it -- I didn't realize you were choosing to keep the new cats (even partly) because of their breed. Liza, really... if you can look at the situation objectively, I think you'll see that the principle there is just wrong.

You brought the new cats into your home in good faith, hoping it would work out -- but because you gave them precedence over the resident cats, you set up a rivalry that's probably worse than it would have been otherwise. Now it's up to you to try to undo the damage and start things over again.

With the help of a good vet and the advice of some of the people here who know so much about these issues, you probably can make it work out in the long run. I know you're tired... but it's the right thing to do.

And if you don't make the effort, you'll be putting out two cats who love and trust you, and thought you had promised them a home forever. You won't feel right about that, no matter how much you enjoy your Birmans.

Please give this some more time, and a change of tactic.

katachtig

Staff Member
Admin
Purraise
I'm wondering if you have reach a space limitation and maybe if you can hold out long enough (I think you said moving in January), they can resettle and claim new territory.

liza24

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by CarolPetunia

Maybe I missed it -- I didn't realize you were choosing to keep the new cats (even partly) because of their breed. Liza, really... if you can look at the situation objectively, I think you'll see that the principle there is just wrong.

You brought the new cats into your home in good faith, hoping it would work out -- but because you gave them precedence over the resident cats, you set up a rivalry that's probably worse than it would have been otherwise. Now it's up to you to try to undo the damage and start things over again.

With the help of a good vet and the advice of some of the people here who know so much about these issues, you probably can make it work out in the long run. I know you're tired... but it's the right thing to do.

And if you don't make the effort, you'll be putting out two cats who love and trust you, and thought you had promised them a home forever. You won't feel right about that, no matter how much you enjoy your Birmans.

Please give this some more time, and a change of tactic.
its not jsut the breed, its the type of cat. and what do you mean GOOD VET? supossedly he is the best in the area, and he takes the Care Credit credit card. Lucky he does or i wouldnt be able to get good vet care, the rest of the vets around here are more questionable then him.

and i DIDNT give them precedence, i just caged the one that was going wild, thinkin she was going to hurt someone or herself.

liza24

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
laid back, sweet, loving of everyone. its their aura, not the breed. sorry,i jsut used the name cause i dont think alot of ppl know what " aura" means. and the blue eyes look into your soul. its jsut something that i cant seem to explain fully.

liza24

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by katachtig

I'm wondering if you have reach a space limitation and maybe if you can hold out long enough (I think you said moving in January), they can resettle and claim new territory.
i think i have. i have a single wide home, with 3 rooms besides the front room/kitchen. one is a bedroom, one is a collect all, and one is my computer room. only the collect all has a door.

i should be able to move by or before jan. I am waiting on a car accident settlment, then i will be able to buy a house.

ping

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

and i DIDNT give them precedence, i just caged the one that was going wild, thinkin she was going to hurt someone or herself.
You do see that the one going wild is because there is a new cat? You do see that the wild one continues to do that because she keeps getting caged? Put the new guys in the kennel not her. She is only reacting to a situation you created not her.

liza24

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Ping

You do see that the one going wild is because there is a new cat? You do see that the wild one continues to do that because she keeps getting caged? Put the new guys in the kennel not her. She is only reacting to a situation you created not her.
i let her out. at this point its been aviodance on both parts. but there has been one instance of hissing ans slapping, but i let it happen, no swipes, no blood, guess thats good.