Had to cancel spay

laureen227

Darksome Duo!
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Sar

Susan, your girls really need a special cat condo, don't they?!
of my 3 gals, Pixel has a tummy - the other 2 don't. Pixel was spayed at about 4-5 months, Cable 5-6 months, & Java at 6+ months during her 2nd heat. i think it develops with age, just like with old ladies!

commonoddity042

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Pudge has no spay dangle. neither did any of the cats I've had fixed early. In any case, is an aesthetic so important that something as important as a spay should be postponed because of it? I prefer fixing as early as possible because I might have the money now, but I don't know how my situation will be in a few months' time. (Not directed at anyone in particualr)

semiferal

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I would strongly recommend calling around and finding a vet who will do the surgery. She will be in heat for a week, out for two, and back again until she is finally spayed. Keeping her from getting pregnant between now and June will be a trick indeed.

I've seen many, many spays done on cats in heat and it really is no different than spaying when they are out of heat. It is a tiny bit more delicate because of the extra blood going to the uterus, but honestly the difference is minimal and as long as the vet does an overall good job on the surgery, it is totally uncomplicated. The surgery takes maybe 5 minutes longer than it would otherwise but that's the only difference. It would really be far riskier for her to become pregnant.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

pombina

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The cats house, we just pay the mortgage..
Originally Posted by semiferal

I would strongly recommend calling around and finding a vet who will do the surgery. She will be in heat for a week, out for two, and back again until she is finally spayed. Keeping her from getting pregnant between now and June will be a trick indeed.

I've seen many, many spays done on cats in heat and it really is no different than spaying when they are out of heat. It is a tiny bit more delicate because of the extra blood going to the uterus, but honestly the difference is minimal and as long as the vet does an overall good job on the surgery, it is totally uncomplicated. The surgery takes maybe 5 minutes longer than it would otherwise but that's the only difference. It would really be far riskier for her to become pregnant.
If you read the rest of the thread, the situation did change and I had been given the wrong info by the vet. She is booked in for Monday, it's only 2 days difference.
There would be no chance of her getting pregnant anyway since she is an indoor only cat and always will be and Sleeves is neutered.
The person who told me to wait until June just got her wires crossed.

sar

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Pombina

If you read the rest of the thread, the situation did change and I had been given the wrong info by the vet. She is booked in for Monday, it's only 2 days difference.
There would be no chance of her getting pregnant anyway since she is an indoor only cat and always will be and Sleeves is neutered.
The person who told me to wait until June just got her wires crossed.
Plus, UK vets would still be reluctant to spay during her heat cycle!

booktigger

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I am so glad you re-contacted them and they have booked her in sooner, it wouldn't have been fair for her to wait all that time.
My vets do actually spay while they are in heat, althoguh I think they prefer it when they are not. Other vets wont unless they have to due to the risk.
A local rescue to me spay all kittens and puppies at 8 weeks old, but they have to use a vet which is technically in a different area - so they have 3 vets (general one for when they don't want to make the animal travel, the spay one and the horse one)

xocats

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
My fingers are crossed that the spay is done today and everything goes well.

I'll be watching for your update.