Hacks or Cheaper Alternatives to the Expensive

Draco

NOT Malfoy!
Veteran
Purraise
Hi all!

What are some alternatives, or hacks, have you found to save costs without losing the quality of cat-related items?

for example.. World's Best Cat Litter, pricey but a very good natural litter (IMO). Instead, I go to a farm supply for and buy non-medicated chick feed. Exact same thing- a fraction of the price and get 3x more.

I'd love to see what alternatives you've found that would be helpful to other members!

Columbine

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
At the stables, I use my pony's bedding as cat litter for the semi feral yard cat (she likes the tack barn - it has sofas and comfy chairs at the back - which is locked at all times, so needs a litterbox for when she's in there). She loves it, and it works very well as a non clumping litter.

I shop online for the bulk of my wet food, and bulk buy and look for special offers to keep costs down.

I use Water Wipes baby wipes (because they're so pure) in place of feline specific wipes to clean bums/paws when necessary.

I make my own catnip toys instead of buying them - SO much cheaper!

Asha's ultimate favourite toy is a length of strong ribbon - cheaper than Da Bird, and she prefers it! (of course, we only realised this after buying Da Bird, countless attachments, and goodness knows how many other wand toys :rolleyes: )

Shadow is a very fussy eater and won't eat leftovers, so his rejects get 'recycled' into Asha's bowl. No more cat food in the bin :D

neontheblackcat

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
One problem I have is that my cat, Neon, loves catnip toys, but they are a bit expensive sometimes. I often buy those packs of cat toys that are made of fabric and are really cheap with no catnip, and then putting them in my catnip chamber. It comes with a pom-pom and a bag of catnip. All you do is pour some catnip in the bottom, put the toy in and close the lid (the toy must not be rubber or plastic), shake it, and the toy comes out smelling and imbeded with catnip. 

micknsnicks2mom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
this one was shared here at TCS by @Kat0121, and it's one i love. purebites freeze dried cat treats. if you buy the ones for dogs, they're the same exact treats (just freeze dried real meat) but they come in a bigger bag/larger quantity and cost less (per ounce) than the ones sold specifically for cats.

Last edited:

troub95

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
We make our own cat food. Found the recipe at catinfo.org and about 8 hours of work gives us 30 lbs of food for our 5 babies. The cost works out to fifteen cents per meal per cat; about 1/4 the cost of a 3 oz can of Fancy Feast. For the money that we save on cat food, it is definitely worth the time and energy spent making it ourselves.

Kat0121

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise

this one was shared here at TCS by @Kat0121, and it's one i love. purebites freeze dried cat treats. if you buy the ones for dogs, they're the same exact treats (just freeze dried real meat) but they come in a bigger bag/larger quantity and cost less (per ounce) than the ones sold specifically for cats.
This is quite true. with all 3 of my cats being quite picky, I have to have a bag of Pure Bites in the house at all times for when they get fussy and I need to use them as a topper. Lilith will sit on the table and stare at me until I realize she is not eating and is demanding some chicken be crumbled onto her meal. 

I buy them through my Amazon subscribe and save. When you have 5 or more items in your order (I always do- most of it stuff for the cats but I get many other things as well) you get 15% off everything in your order. The price does fluctuate but I pay anywhere from $16 and change to $20 and change for the big bag. I don't think I have ever seen this bag at Petco or Petsmart for less than $29.00. I think Chewy gets around $26 for it and you need to get to the $49 for the free shipping. With Amazon's S&S, you get free shipping. I have Prime so I get the free 2 day shipping. 

Anne

Site Owner
Staff Member
Admin
Purraise
Bumping for more tips and hacks!

This one just came up in the comments to one of our articles and is often recommended by members.

Instead of buying an expensive litterbox designated for cats, get a huge rubbermaid type plastic box. We even have them in our reviews section because they're so popular -
[product="19164"]Rubbermaid Storage Box  [/product]