H20 Mop?

natalie_ca

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Anyone here have or have used an "H20 Mop?" It's a steam mop that also can steam fabric, furniture, carpets grout etc.

http://www.thane.ca/h2o-mop-x5/

I've seen this advertised on TV a few times and recently The Shopping Cannel in Canada had it as their Show Stopper. I didn't order it at that time, but I ordered it from the above website on Thursday and it was shipped yesterday. I should get it by the end of this coming week.

I'm anxious for it to get here!  I can't wait to steam my floors and rugs to make sure that every single bug that might have hitched a ride from my old apartment to the new one, is dead!!!

I've become very OCD about this whole bed bug thing! I literally spend about 90 minutes of my day putting my bedding through the dryer, vacuuming and steaming things with my garment steamer!  I think once I can do the floors and carpets I'll feel better, at least I hope I will!!!

Last edited:

jcat

Mo(w)gli's can opener
Veteran
Purraise
I don't have any experience with that product, but got my second steam cleaner last year, a Kärcher SC 4.100 C, and love it. I don't believe the steam cleaners actually "sterilize" anything, because the steam isn't applied very long, but they're certainly convenient, fast and allow you to do without chemical cleansers. They should be effective against bugs, though.

I don't buy the expensive cloths that go with mine - I've found cheap microfiber cloths from the supermarket or just old washcloths and hand towels are as good.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

natalie_ca

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I don't have any experience with that product, but got my second steam cleaner last year, a Kärcher SC 4.100 C, and love it. I don't believe the steam cleaners actually "sterilize" anything, because the steam isn't applied very long, but they're certainly convenient, fast and allow you to do without chemical cleansers. They should be effective against bugs, though.
I don't buy the expensive cloths that go with mine - I've found cheap microfiber cloths from the supermarket or just old washcloths and hand towels are as good.

The H20 Mop is advertised as being able "to kill  up to 99% of house-hold bacteria, as well as bed bugs. We recommend steaming any mattresses and upholstery with your upholstery / garment steaming attachment. The hot steam kills bacteria and bed bugs, while the microfiber cloth lifts and locks them."

There are really strict laws in Canada so they couldn't advertise it as doing that, if it didn't. 

However, at the moment, mopping and reducing bacteria counts isn't my main goal. My main goal is to make sure I get rid of any bed bugs that hitched a ride with me.

I managed to steam the second bedside table last night before putting itinto my bedroom.  I opened the second drawer and found an adult bug just hanging out. Now it's dead!!  As soon as the steam hit it, it shriveled up and died.  So that makes me confident that steam instead of chemicals is the better option.

When it arrives, I'll post and let everyone know how it is. 

jcat

Mo(w)gli's can opener
Veteran
Purraise
Time plays an important role in sterilization, though, as illustrated by this CDC article, Guideline for Disinfection and Sterilization in Healthcare Facilities, 2008

The basic principle of steam sterilization, as accomplished in an autoclave, is to expose each item to direct steam contact at the required temperature and pressure for the specified time. Thus, there are four parameters of steam sterilization: steam, pressure, temperature, and time. The ideal steam for sterilization is dry saturated steam and entrained water (dryness fraction ≥97%)813, 819. Pressure serves as a means to obtain the high temperatures necessary to quickly kill microorganisms. Specific temperatures must be obtained to ensure the microbicidal activity. The two common steam-sterilizing temperatures are 121oC (250oF) and 132oC (270oF). These temperatures (and other high temperatures) 830 must be maintained for a minimal time to kill microorganisms. Recognized minimum exposure periods for sterilization of wrapped healthcare supplies are 30 minutes at 121oC (250oF) in a gravity displacement sterilizer or 4 minutes at 132oC (270oC) in a prevacuum sterilizer (Table7).
While steamcleaning a floor may kill a lot of microbes, I highly doubt that anybody applies the steam to one spot for a minimum of four minutes, let alone thirty, so the floor certainly wouldn't be sterile. I definitely think steam is better than chemicals, whether for simple cleaning or killing vermin. I use my steam cleaner on just about everything, including litterboxes.

Last edited:

natalie_ca

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Time plays an important role in sterilization, though, as illustrated by this CDC article, Guideline for Disinfection and Sterilization in Healthcare Facilities, 2008
The basic principle of steam sterilization, as accomplished in an autoclave, is to expose each item to direct steam contact at the required temperature and pressure for the specified time. Thus, there are four parameters of steam sterilization: steam, pressure, temperature, and time. The ideal steam for sterilization is dry saturated steam and entrained water (dryness fraction ≥97%)813, 819. Pressure serves as a means to obtain the high temperatures necessary to quickly kill microorganisms. Specific temperatures must be obtained to ensure the microbicidal activity. The two common steam-sterilizing temperatures are 121oC (250oF) and 132oC (270oF). These temperatures (and other high temperatures) 830 must be maintained for a minimal time to kill microorganisms. Recognized minimum exposure periods for sterilization of wrapped healthcare supplies are 30 minutes at 121oC (250oF) in a gravity displacement sterilizer or 4 minutes at 132oC (270oC) in a prevacuum sterilizer (Table7).
While steamcleaning a floor may kill a lot of microbes, I highly doubt that anybody applies the steam to one spot for a minimum of four minutes, let alone thirty, so the floor certainly wouldn't be sterile. I definitely think steam is better than chemicals, whether for simple cleaning or killing vermin. I use my steam cleaner on just about everything, including litterboxes.
I use an autoclave at work. I didn't say this mop sterilized.  All I'm interested in is being able to steam my rugs and floor to kill any bed bugs/eggs that might have hitched a ride.  And then once that is done, use it as my usual mop to help make the job of mopping my floors easier (steam vs scrubbing), and to reduce (not elminate all) bacteria.

Anyway, I created this thread in the hopes that someone here might have used it and could give me their opinion. I see good reviews all over the net about it, but I would believe someone I "know" over random comments on sites for where the Mop being sold.

catlover19

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I had the original H20 mop. I used to use it all the time. I didn't like it for the carpets and when I moved into a house with all carpets, I gave it to my mom. Now that I live in a house without carpets again, I would like another one. Mine didn't have the detachable part, it was just the floor/carpet steamer.

The amount of dirt it picked up was disgusting. I had two main complaints about it. The first one was that the cord was very short and even with an extension cord, it wouldn't clean my whole apartment. Not really a big deal though. The other one was that my apartment always stunk after I used it. I found it made my apartment smell like wet dog. I'm not sure why, my dog doesn't stink and my apartment didn't stink. I used to just quickly go over the floors with a regular mop or swiffer mop after to get rid of that smell. It really does take the dirt off like it shows in the video, but its not that fast. You have to move it slower and sometimes hold it over a spot for a few seconds. 

Let me know if you want to know anything else. 

natalie_ca

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I had the original H20 mop. I used to use it all the time. I didn't like it for the carpets and when I moved into a house with all carpets, I gave it to my mom. Now that I live in a house without carpets again, I would like another one. Mine didn't have the detachable part, it was just the floor/carpet steamer.

The amount of dirt it picked up was disgusting. I had two main complaints about it. The first one was that the cord was very short and even with an extension cord, it wouldn't clean my whole apartment. Not really a big deal though. The other one was that my apartment always stunk after I used it. I found it made my apartment smell like wet dog. I'm not sure why, my dog doesn't stink and my apartment didn't stink. I used to just quickly go over the floors with a regular mop or swiffer mop after to get rid of that smell. It really does take the dirt off like it shows in the video, but its not that fast. You have to move it slower and sometimes hold it over a spot for a few seconds. 

Let me know if you want to know anything else. 
Thanks for the feedback!  I don't like the idea of "wet dog" smell! That is disgusting!  The 2 times  they cleaned the carpets in the hallway in the 16 years I've been here was in August, 2 years in a row.  The way the building is set up there is no ventilation or windows into the hallway other than when someone opens their apartment door.  The hallway stunk like wet dog for weeks!

The version I ordered has a carpet attachment/bracket, so that it will glide over the carpets. So I'm hoping that it will be easier to do than you described.  The only carpets in my apartment are in the 2 bedrooms.  The bathroom and kitchen had feaux stone linoleum and the rest is parkay wood floors.  But even if I never use it again after doing a good cleaning with it to ensure dead bugs, I think it will have been worth the money. 

brandi

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I LOVE the H2O my mom had one, which is what started  my infatuation with steam mops!! It works wonders, Its amazing how much dirt it picks up and I love how clean it leaves the floors, I dont use the carpet attachment on my carpets and never have I actually use it on my countertops!! Mine uses distilled water only which is my only complaint, I get quite frustrated when I want to mop and realize I don't have enough distilled water to do it!!

natalie_ca

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I LOVE the H2O my mom had one, which is what started  my infatuation with steam mops!! It works wonders, Its amazing how much dirt it picks up and I love how clean it leaves the floors, I dont use the carpet attachment on my carpets and never have I actually use it on my countertops!! Mine uses distilled water only which is my only complaint, I get quite frustrated when I want to mop and realize I don't have enough distilled water to do it!!
I think this one uses regular tap water. But if it doesn't and I need to use distilled, it's no a problem. I always have a few gallons of the stuff becuase I need to use it in my CPAP machine.

capt_jordi

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I dont have this brand but I do have a HAAN steam clean system and I LOVE IT! My new years resolution was to get read of as many chemicals in the house as possible and the first to go was floor cleaners. We have hardwoods and tile throughout the house and it does a GREAT job! I went with this one because of the temp that the steam gets up to vs the cheaper ones at walmart. Mine comes with a short handle attachment and a carpet tray for cleaning mattresses, rugs, and furniture. To clean our entire kitchen, living room, dining room and hallway it took me 4 pads and maybe a total of 2 hours although I split it between 2 days and moved ALL of our furniture. Looks great and seemed to stay cleaner a lot longer than with the orange glo we were using! 

I got mine off of amazon for $180 and it came with 6 pads, the carpet attachment, short handle, the hand held steamer, and all the attachments for the hand held. I love it and dont think I will go back to a regular mop again.

natalie_ca

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I love it and dont think I will go back to a regular mop again.
Yeah, that's another thing I'm excited about is not having to dig out a mop and pail. I find the pail so heavy to pick up and lug to the toilet to empty, and then there is the fact that after the first dip into the pail, you are mopping floors with dirty water.

margecat

Mentor
Staff Member
Mentor
Purraise
I don't have that type, but mine (a Dirt Devil steam mop) is just like it, except that I cna only use it for floors and carpets.  I bought it about 2 years ago, and loved it, but haven't been using it (back to the Swiffers and string mop for the kitchen).  It's nice, but you can't get into all areas with it. I have a narrow gap between the wall and the piano, for example, and the head won't fit there, so I still need Swiffers.  Also, I can't buy replacement pads, except for online, adn they're expensive with the postage (wish I'd thought of this befor buying the mop).  I made a dozen out of cloth diapers I bought on eBay. Don't use the birdseye, gauzy ones--get "Indian" diapers--the really thick, unbleached cotton ones. I made a pattern from the head, and used scrap muslin to made the band that goes around it, and elastic or ribbon in the casing. I bought these also because they can be bleached and washed together in the machine. The microfiber pads have to be washed separately (according to the instuctions)--so I have to hand-wash those. Forget it.