H ow do I get my cat to stop biting his paws bloody?

ldg

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
To help reduce his stress in the meantime, you might be able to afford lavendar. You can use sprays, oil diffusers...... spray down his beds and the couches, etc with it. You could even use lavender incense.

ldg

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
If you think your kitty would still benefit from a cone, a friend has offered to send you one. Please send me via private message your address, and we'll get it sent out to you. :heart2:

Another idea to help calm him and ease him through this stressful period is to try brushing his face (assuming he's familiar with, and white, the brush. All of our feral cats do, even though they were scared of it at first. They figure it out quickly, even if they don't like hands!) while gently talking to him, softly, and telling him how good and brave and string and wonderful he is. Animals respond amazingly to words of encouragement and praise, as well as to petting or brushing similar to grooming by their mom. It could help distract him and make him emotionally better equipped to overcome his trauma. :heart2:

barbb

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It is standard practice to use the litter called "yesterday's news" (which is available at every pet store) for newly declawed cats. A cone is also standard practice. And so are pain meds.

You really must get the proper litter. There are consequences if you do not, i.e. your cat may begin to associate the litterbox with his pain and problems he will begin to avoid it and will eliminate outside the box. Forever.

Having made the expensive decision to declaw him, you cannot just do a little bit. You MUST get the cone, and you MUST get the litter. Until you do this, you need to be sure and bathe his paws in water after he uses any other clay or sticking litter. There are reasons the other litter is what you have been told by the vet to use. The reasons are that the clay litter will HARM YOUR CAT.

If you do not help this cat and do everything you are supposed to do that accompanies this type of surgery, you risk permanent mutilation of your cat's paws, i.e. pieces of litter forever stuck in the healing parts of his paws and causing him pain, permanent mutilation, and possible infection that will cripple him forever, caused by him tearing at the healing wounds.

I do adoptions and work for a rescue and I have seen at least 8 different occasions of people coming in with their cat sobbing because of permanent damage.

Understanding your income is limited, the surgery is expensive so why are you not complying with everything that occurs with this surgery in order to make it successful? You can't just do a little bit of it. Plus this cat is your pet, your fur child. 

I am very upset that you elected to have this surgery but at some point have made the decision not to do ALL the aftercare steps. These are EVERY BIT AS IMPORTANT AS THE SURGERY ITSELF.