Gum disease in 6 month old kitten?

otisandkate

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi there! My kitten recently had 2 baby canine teeth removed. 6 days after, I took him back to the vet for a follow up. They said he somehow developed a substantial amount of gum disease in that past week - something they never mentioned before...

Anyways, I will likely go for a second opinion as I want to be sure before putting him into surgery. I've attached some pictures. Does anyone have any insight? Thank you so much!

Attachments

lutece

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
What kind of surgery is the vet suggesting?

Kittens at this age are still teething, and a certain amount of inflammation can be normal. I've seen some kitten gums that looked terrible at this age, but resolved by themselves after teething was over. Teething kittens at 5-6 months also often have stinky breath and can even have some upper respiratory symptoms related to teething (runny eyes / nose).

On the other hand, some kittens do start to get early onset gum disease around 6-7 months that can lead to problems.

I don't have the expertise to look at your photos and tell you if your kitten is developing serious gum disease, or if it's an irritated mouth due to teething. Some vets are quicker to intervene than others, so if you are concerned, you could have a different vet check your kitten's mouth for a second opinion.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

otisandkate

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
What kind of surgery is the vet suggesting?

Kittens at this age are still teething, and a certain amount of inflammation can be normal. I've seen some kitten gums that looked terrible at this age, but resolved by themselves after teething was over. Teething kittens at 5-6 months also often have stinky breath and can even have some upper respiratory symptoms related to teething (runny eyes / nose).

On the other hand, some kittens do start to get early onset gum disease around 6-7 months that can lead to problems.

I don't have the expertise to look at your photos and tell you if your kitten is developing serious gum disease, or if it's an irritated mouth due to teething. Some vets are quicker to intervene than others, so if you are concerned, you could have a different vet check your kitten's mouth for a second opinion.
Thanks so much for your help! They recommended a cleaning, x-rays and extractions all in one day. I definitely think I'll have a 2nd vet check things out just to make sure it's worth the surgery. Thanks again :)