Guessing at possible kitten colorations

Kittle

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
  • Getting our new Red Tabby (April) spayed after she delivers.
  • She got pregnant while the neighbor still owned her.
  • April was given to us by said neighbor who didn't want to deal with her anymore about three weeks ago.
  • She has a vet appointment this week.
  • We have repeatedly seen a Siamese Tom eating the food on our porch and think he could be the father of the kittens April is carrying. We nicknamed him Mojo.
  • I'm merely curious about the colorations because it fasinates me.
My questions:
1) Is it true that because April has Red in her coat, all male kittens will be solid Red?
2) Is it true that if she made kittens with Mojo that they would likely have created Flame point Siamese kittens?
3) What other colorations would you suspect they'd have together?

Thanks 😊
IMG_20200508_103059_168.jpg

IMG_20200509_121316_820.jpg

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yes, all her boys will be red. "Solid", not really. First of all, all reds are tabbies, something to do with the red gene suppressing the solid color gene. And they'll probably have a lot of white because she does, although if the dad doesn't have white they might not. But definitely red of some sort. And all of her girls will have red in them too (tortie or red, depending who the dad is).

If the pointed cat is the daddy and she carries the pointed gene, about half the kittens will be pointed. If she doesn't carry the gene, none of them will be. Pointed kittens are born a solid off-white color, so you should be able to tell right away. If he's a dark point, the female kittens will be torties/calicos or tortie point, if he's red point they'll be red or red point too.

Summary:

Males will be red tabby or red point, with varying amounts of white.

Females will be red tabby or tortie/calico, or red or tortie point, with varying amounts of white. Could be torbie, depends what everybody is carrying.

Either sex could be dilute (blue/cream), depends what the parents carry.

Post lots of pics! They'll be a colorful bunch.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Kittle

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thank you so much! ❤

Kittle

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Is pointed and Siamese the same thing?

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yes, pointed is the coloration with dark areas on their ears, nose, paws, and tail. Siamese is a pointed breed. He probably isn't Siamese---most people don't let purebred cats run around loose---but he definitely is pointed!

Kittle

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Yes, pointed is the coloration with dark areas on their face, paws, and tails. Siamese is a pointed breed. He probably isn't Siamese---most people don't let purebred cats run around loose---but he definitely is pointed!
Oh ok, I understand now. Thanks 😊

Meowmee

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
  • Getting our new Red Tabby (April) spayed after she delivers.
  • She got pregnant while the neighbor still owned her.
  • April was given to us by said neighbor who didn't want to deal with her anymore about three weeks ago.
  • She has a vet appointment this week.
  • We have repeatedly seen a Siamese Tom eating the food on our porch and think he could be the father of the kittens April is carrying. We nicknamed him Mojo.
  • I'm merely curious about the colorations because it fasinates me.
My questions:
1) Is it true that because April has Red in her coat, all male kittens will be solid Red?
2) Is it true that if she made kittens with Mojo that they would likely have created Flame point Siamese kittens?
3) What other colorations would you suspect they'd have together?

Thanks 😊
View attachment 333533
View attachment 333534
They both look gorgeous, look forward to see what the kittens look like! Pointed kittens are generally born white and then points come in. Darker points like seal come in faster. He may not be a purebred siamese but he looks exactly like a purebred Applehead sealpoint Siamese, so he has a lot of that in him. CA has a huge number of rescue cats that are not pure bred Siamese but which look exactly like them. If they get the siamese albino allele for albinism they could have blue eyes too. One of my tortie girls was part Siamese she had blue eyes until she was about four months old and then they turned bright green.

Kittle

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
He does have blue eyes ❤