Guess what I breed??

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

momto3boys

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I almost tried breeding supers but my beardie won't eat enough of them to make it worth it, I do buy them by the 1000 though.

And a nice juicy hornworm

-_aj_-

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I hate roaches they are about the only thing that really make my skin crawl

But i fully understand why you breed them

strange_wings

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
As long as they're not infesting my home, I don't care. An insect is an insect.

I've bred supers before but never had much luck with them. Too much work, and too much smell, for too few larvae in my case. I had a leo get impacted on supers before, too. ... That was fun to deal with.
I always keep a colony of mealworms going. Since you don't regularly use them you probably don't remember the mealworm shortage that happened around 2006? I think it was. I was set because I had a nice healthy large colony going for a few years already. My geckos like them because, all but one, are food dish trained - even the golden geckos. They're a bit useless for turtles.
I have a worm bin outside for raising worms for the turtles. They will not eat any sort of store bought worm, aside from nightcrawlers, because of what worms get raised on (manure/poultry feces, etc). I kept a colony of pill bugs for the turtles when they were hatchlings, too.

I've bred waxworms in the past just to see if I could. They're a bit too delicate for me.

Now I'm trying to figure out what those roaches are outside, again. I've never had any luck identifying them. They look sort of like the german and orientals do body shape wise, but match up to the b. lateralis much better. They can't climb smooth surfaces so maybe I should just collect some up since the rain will have them out? I wouldn't trust feeding them to my geckos (not exposed to local outdoor pathogens), but they could be fed to my turtles..

momto3boys

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I don't remember the mealie shortage but I know right now there is a major cricket shortage....

I just buy all my worms since Moose (beardie) sleeps all winter so I don't need them 24/7 and Monkey (leo) will only eat roaches, LOL

strange_wings

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Momto3boys

I don't remember the mealie shortage but I know right now there is a major cricket shortage....

I just buy all my worms since Moose (beardie) sleeps all winter so I don't need them 24/7 and Monkey (leo) will only eat roaches, LOL
Oh no, a cricket shortage.

So two is all you have? I'm surprised you're not overrun with roaches! I have 2 leos, 4 goldens, and 9 juvenile box turtles. The turtles plow through food, insect and veggie alike. If they didn't hibernate I don't know what I would do for the winter.
I did have more geckos, but lost some to old age. I don't even know what # owner I was for a couple of the female leos - maybe the 4th or 5th. I remember when the guy (old family friend, RIP) I got my male from bought him at a show back around '95-96. With the exception of the my female leo, who has to be hand fed..., everyone else will grab anything that moves. Male leo has even grabbed me a few times because he doesn't get the whole fingers =/= food.

I finally figured out what the wild roaches around my house are. They're banded wood roaches - related to the b. lateralis (or if you want to get techincal parcoblatta lateralis, these being parcoblatta zebra). I wasn't wrong in thinking they looked almost exactly alike. Same care requirements, wood roaches are slower, and maybe a bit hardier. I'm going to set up a colony for the turtles out of the wild caughts.) ... if I can find enough roaches.

orangeishcat

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise

I am so terrified of those things... even though I know they can't hurt me. o.o;;;;; It's really irrational!

momto3boys

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by strange_wings

Oh no, a cricket shortage.

So two is all you have? I'm surprised you're not overrun with roaches! I have 2 leos, 4 goldens, and 9 juvenile box turtles. The turtles plow through food, insect and veggie alike. If they didn't hibernate I don't know what I would do for the winter.
I did have more geckos, but lost some to old age. I don't even know what # owner I was for a couple of the female leos - maybe the 4th or 5th. I remember when the guy (old family friend, RIP) I got my male from bought him at a show back around '95-96. With the exception of the my female leo, who has to be hand fed..., everyone else will grab anything that moves. Male leo has even grabbed me a few times because he doesn't get the whole fingers =/= food.

I finally figured out what the wild roaches around my house are. They're banded wood roaches - related to the b. lateralis (or if you want to get techincal parcoblatta lateralis, these being parcoblatta zebra). I wasn't wrong in thinking they looked almost exactly alike. Same care requirements, wood roaches are slower, and maybe a bit hardier. I'm going to set up a colony for the turtles out of the wild caughts.) ... if I can find enough roaches.
Once my bin is full, I sell off a bunch, this helps with not having too many

strange_wings

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Momto3boys

Once my bin is full, I sell off a bunch, this helps with not having too many
If you were in the US I'd say keep me in mind the next time you're overrun with them.

Do you belong to any roach forums with people that do sell out of their colonies from time to time? I've wanted orange heads for years but they're less common. Even less commonly kept are the green bananas, which I think are quite beautiful.

I guess they don't bother me because I see the non-pest species as just another insect outside, like the P. zebras. Some of the rarer kept roaches look nothing like the roaches we deal with - like the zebra striped roaches or the dominos.

momto3boys

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
No, I'm not on any roach forums, just 2 Canadian reptile forums...

Dubia's, Turks and Lobsters I think are the only roaches we can get in Canada.