Guess They’re Finally Doing Something After Killing 1,400

trudy1

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Ah, good old sw Missouri. Let’s see 1,400 last year and 5,500 in 2007. Reminds me of “the killing fields” but at least there appears to be a little light penetrating the darkness!
I like statements “diseases and injury are present” and “there’s been a steady decrease since 5,500 cats were taken in”. But I’ll bet few came “out”. Sorry for the rant but all this killing....just makes me sad....

JOPLIN, Mo. - Last year, the city took in about 1,400 cats, with only three percent of those cats being reclaimed as someone's pet. While the numbers are still high and issues with diseases and injury are present, there's been a steady decrease since 5,500 cats were taken in 2007.

A couple measures are helping the city start to control the feral cat population. Animal control officers have had success with setting and collecting harmless traps when they receive a call or complaint.

There have also been stricter animal regulations implemented by city council and a voucher system established for spaying and neutering.

"Low cost voucher program, where we will provide a voucher for up to $50 for an individual who meets the income qualifications where they can take and get their cat or their dog spayed or neutered," says Dan Pekarek with the Joplin Health Department.

If you're a cat owner and are going to let your pet roam outside, keeping up with your vaccinations and making sure your cat is fixed is essential. He also recommends you put a collar on and chip your cat so it's not mistaken for a stray.