Grumpy old man who doesnt like cats

turk

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi everyone

I was driving my son home from school the other day and we were listening to the news on the radio , and they read an article about an elderly man who lives in the 2nd biggest city in our country who wants cats registered and micro-chipped and a limit of 1 cat per house in the city, and the left-over ones, well he doesnt really care about them. And his reason for this is because of the cats in his neighbourhood pooing in his garden!!!!!!
The funny thing is, the amount of people backing him is...12 .

Silly old fool, I dont know how anyone could be like that towards cats, I think he just needs an intrest to keep him occupied.

Just thought I'd share that wee story with you, It saddens me that this old fella is trying to do this, but realisticly, with only 12 people backing him, he doesnt have a s#!t show in hell....i hope!

yayi

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
You are fortunate to live in a country where cat lovers outnumber cat haters. If that old man lived in the Philippines, the numbers would be the opposite with only 12 siding with the cats.

kc&sherman

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
It's sad that people can even think that way.
That reminds me of a an editorial in our local paper. It said that the local humane society should simply euthanize the pitbulls in their shelter and put the other dogs up for adoption. I was SHOCKED by this!!
So I definately know how you feel!!
But it's good to know that those kinds of people aren't supported very well!

callista

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I agree with "registered and microchipped". That's just common sense; if a cat wanders, you're more likely to find it again.

But one cat to a household is just silly. I can understand a square-footage-per-cat limitation to prevent hoarding (or at least make it illegal); but two or three cats can live comfortably in all but the smallest one-room apartments. They're such small animals to begin with, and then they don't need to be walked like dogs do...

Silly old guy. Hasn't he ever heard of feline repellants? And he should really stop using bone meal, because I bet that's why the cats dig.

luckygirl

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by yayi

You are fortunate to live in a country where cat lovers outnumber cat haters. If that old man lived in the Philippines, the numbers would be the opposite with only 12 siding with the cats.
they hate cats in the Philippines???
I never heard/knew of that?! Why do they hate cats? Can you explain this craziness to me yayi? Maybe I'm a little naive...but that is something that boggles me...

amy jo

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I live in Rochester NY in a 2 bedroom apartment.
"It said that the local humane society should simply euthanize the pitbulls in their shelter and put the other dogs up for adoption."

They do this in my city. They don't care if it is a litter of 4 week old puppies they destroy them. In fact an Animal Control Officer picked up a 6 week old puppy and dropped it off to her friend to avoid that. They fired her and she lost her pension and everything, she fought it in court and lost because they said once she took custody of that puppy it was the property of Rochester Animal Control and should ha ve been destroyed. Isn't that criminal. I do so hope that people never try to do that to any breed of cat, or to our feral cat population. Ignorance is such a dangerous thing.

beckiboo

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
That is just nutty. And I have no fondness for pitbulls. I would never own one or trust one, but that doesn't mean killing the ones who show up in the shelter will help anything! They should be temperament checked like every other dog, and base adoption on that!

And the old man who wants to infringe on peoples rights to own kitties...he's a nut job, too!

pipersjo

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Well, that is just ridiculous!! I am glad that we don't have anything like that going on around here! It would be good to microchip and register though. We have TONS of strays around here that stick around because we have a lady that feeds them, but it is awful because I have seen quite a few of them squished on the road. I always end up crying even though its not my kitty and I may have never seen it before--it's very upsetting.

As for the pitbull thing, it depends on the dog. They should never just pt it down because its a pit or any of the other so called agressive breeds. I had a rott-pit mix puppy that had been abused and was the most lovable dog I have ever seen! He was kicked down a flight of stairs, had some kind of abcess on his neck that wouldn't go away, and still loved everybody he saw.

Jo

jessy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
That guy is just crazy, like that would ever be allowed.

My neighbour is just so completely the opposite. Her man friend's wife used to love kitties, so now they keep a section of my neighbours garden dug over so that the local kitties can use it as a litter tray! I know that lots of people don't like cats pooing in their garden, and I'm amazed at my neighbour being so the opposite, they really don't mind, as long as the cat's dig it in.

There is one cat that they don't like pooing in the garden, but he's the neghbourhood bully and does GIANT poos in her front garden and doesn't cover them.

girlsetsfiyah

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Hmm, we have a lot of strays in our neighbourhood, many which I feed. And yes, like all species, they have to poop. I made a deal with my neighbour (who also freaks out about cat feces in her garden) that once a week I go over there and pick it all up. Which is no big deal to me. Poop is poop. *shrug* I like to think of it as free fertilizer =D