Grrr - Food Allergies

jcat

Mo(w)gli's can opener
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by Plebayo

Thanks for the recipe, I'll look into it. I'll have to initially see if he's allergic to lamb. The Venison diet he was on was Venison as the first ingredient, and then lamb, lamb liver etc.

I hadn't even considered goat! I've never actually been to a butcher shop... a butcher shop should have lamb right?

If I can't find anything we'll have to move onto mice, I'm going to look around and see if I can find a local butcher who deals with things other than beef, ham, and chicken.
Do you live in a city? Is there an area with a large Muslim or Greek population? I've found that I can always get lamb, mutton, and goat in Muslim or Greek butcher shops, though I imagine lamb is available in most supermarkets.
The more I think about it, the more I think you might be on to something with the frozen rats or mice. I know people who order them, but never considered them for allergic cats.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

plebayo

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Hmmm I don't know that we have a large Muslim population anywhere around here, not even greeks. We're mostly hispanic/asian around these parts. I'll se what I can find though. That's a great suggestion though, if anything I know of a couple greek restaurants that I could probably talk to to see where they get their meat from.

I haven't found lamb at any of the supermarkets around here, even in the mexican shops they usually only have beef and pork.

I thought of the mice thing because they would be balanced. I know barn cats who in the summer ate more mice than the food we offered. The only downside is I'd have to find out how many he would actually need to be eating.