Growth under skin

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

susank521

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Scooter had post-op constipation and really had me concerned that a vet trip for an enema was going to be necessary. We tried the standbys; massage, pumpkin, laxatone, and as much soupy food as she would eat. Nothing. There we were, 5 days post -op and still no poop. She was obviously uncomfortable and having to keep her isolated was doing nothing good for her morale.

The vet suggested we sprinkle a teaspoon of Metamucil on her food. His words, "just sprinkle it on her food, she'll eat it". HA!

So we purchased the smallest container of non-flavored Metamucil we could find... 3# !!
FOR SALE

One three pound container of laxative.
Only used 1/2 teaspoon.
Great conversation starter for a coffee table.
Make Offer.

Finally, the Wednesday after her Friday surgery we had success!
 No vet visit or enema required. She's scheduled for ecollar and stitches removal on Monday . Yesterday morning while we were eating breakfast the little hooligan jumped up on the counter then up to the top of the wall cabinets!!!
  Crazy girl. Stitches held firm. So I guess she's doing ok.

mosimom

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Cones suck. My girl gets hers off on Monday too! She had entropion surgery.

oneandahalfcats

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Sorry to hear about the constipation .. Really glad to read that she finally went, and without having to be evacuated! :) :clap:

Sounds like she is getting back to her old self. That is fantastic and must be very gratifying to see.

Last edited:

mosimom

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Isn't it telling when we say, "______ gets her cone off on Monday"........

instead of, "______ gets her stitches out on Monday."

Meaning we kitty parents hate and suffer the cone more than kitty, I think.
I actually think Mosi believes it is part of her wardrobe as many times she's had to wear it this past year.

susank521

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Sorry to hear about the constipation .. Really glad to read that she finally went, and without having to be evacuated!

Sounds like she is getting back to her old self. That is fantastic and must be very gratifying to see.
She's getting back too fast, the silly girl. I almost fainted when I saw her on top of the cabinet!

susank521

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Isn't it telling when we say, "______ gets her cone off on Monday"........

instead of, "______ gets her stitches out on Monday."

Meaning we kitty parents hate and suffer the cone more than kitty, I think.
I actually think Mosi believes it is part of her wardrobe as many times she's had to wear it this past year.
Poor Mosi! Hopefully this will be the last time she'll have to suffer that cone for a long time. I've been tempted to draw some flower petals on Scooter's cone. It reminds me so much of a flower I've taken to calling her Daisy Mae. 

susank521

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
There is definitely one, and may be two, visible stitches left in Scooter's incision. The vet said that they would break down in a few weeks, or I could bring her back in to have them removed.

I'd prefer to not take her back if it's not necessary, but of course I want to do what's best for Scooter.

What do you all think? Should I wait it out, or take her back?

If my eyesight were better I'd take it out myself.

mosimom

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Is Scooter still wearing the cone? If it means getting rid of the cone then I would! The cone bothered me more than Mosi....lol.

susank521

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
No, we ditched the cone asap! Poor little Mosi had worn her's so long, she had, unfortunately, gotten used to it.

susank521

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise

It's a shame you didn't know any nurses with a scalpel to remove them?
Well, I guess I could take her to work with me 
(I work for a doctor/surgeon), but that's even farther away than the vet. It looks like the stitch may be cut and just needs a little tug on the knot, but my poor old eyes can't be sure.

rosiemac

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise

Well, I guess I could take her to work with me 
(I work for a doctor/surgeon), 
Very handy! 

So is she biting at it without the cone on?. It looks like it's healing really good?

I remember when Sophie was spayed, she managed to get her collar off and bit a stitch out, but fortunately the incision was healing so there was no damage

Last edited:

susank521

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise

Very handy! 

So is she biting at it without the cone on?. It looks like it's healing really good?

I remember when Sophie was spayed, she managed to get her collar off and bit a stitch out, but fortunately the incision was healing so there was no damage
She has never paid the least bit of attention to it. Like the growth before it was removed, the stitch doesn't bother her at all. The wound looks great, but her hair is growing back so fast (faster than I've ever seen cats' hair grow!) I was worried that it won't be long before I won't be able to see it if the stitch got infected. I don't recall this ever happening before, a "non-desolving" stitch being left in, but maybe I just didn't know about it.

What in the world was Sophie thinking? I guess the wound had healed well enough (fortunately) that it was starting to itch, regardless, pulling a stitch out can not have felt good!