growling + sometimes hissing or spitting with no other body change

fairytaz

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi everyone
I've had this rescue cat since October 2012 and she isn't improving alot. She still only a year old and when she was a kitten was beaten by a toddler. Since then she's been happier but we still randomly get her growling when we stroke her for example. Even when she isn't eating, just sitting. No other language changes and she is so spoilt. I'm a bit confused because it happens so often. What can i do? What does this communication mean?

Thank you

Tanya and Iain

catspaw66

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
She is reacting to the abuse she suffered when a kitten. Just keep petting her gently, and if she starts growling, stop petting her until she settles down. She may never stop doing this. I know that abused children never completely get over it.

catspaw66

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Look at what she has done to her cat.

"I've scruffed him, firm NO, tapped his nose, flicked his ear, HISSED, clapped, screamed, sprayed him with a water bottle, I've even stuck my finger down his throat multiple times because I read that that's how you train kittens not to bite, that it triggers their gag reflex and they won't bite you again, but of course it does not bother Phoenix. I even put some hot sauce on my hands to deter him and it didn't bother him".

If somebody did that to me, I would bite the crap out of them, too.

In your case, the only thing you can do is show her love, and let her take it at her own pace. I feel that she will eventually stop the behavior. Cats are not logical animals, they react to their environment and the things we do to and for them.

Last edited:
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

fairytaz

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Wow i wouldn't dream of doing any of that. I tried a slight hiss a couple of times but wouldn't go further. Thank you for the advice. Just felt I was spoiling her too much n she had become bratty or something. I see im on the right track and will give it a go. I will never give up on her though. My partner says if she gets worse we have to get rid of her!! But i won't let it happen

catspaw66

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Wow i wouldn't dream of doing any of that. I tried a slight hiss a couple of times but wouldn't go further. Thank you for the advice. Just felt I was spoiling her too much n she had become bratty or something. I see im on the right track and will give it a go. I will never give up on her though. My partner says if she gets worse we have to get rid of her!! But i won't let it happen
My ladies are terribly spoiled, but I won't put up with any biting. I give them a really good hiss, or in extreme cases, I can scream like a male cat about to attack. The only thing with the last one is that it scares the heck out of all of them.

katluver4life

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Cats do not behave with thoughts like a human. She is not being bratty, just a cat who has a reason for feeling the way she does. I agree with catspaw, you have to let her set her own pace and continue to reassure her that she will no longer be hurt by being touched. Since she is still pretty young, there is hope she will learn this. When she growls she is just saying she doesn't like whatever your doing. So tell her..ok I'll stop that for now and back off. You need to build her trust. With many abused cats, that takes time, patience and sometimes years. I'm glad your willing to take her for herself.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

fairytaz

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
thanks everyone for your advice. It made me think, maybe I will start slower, maybe just stroke her head for now because it was nearer he tail she got the most abuse with her previous owners. She hasnt growled at me since! This is working quite fast as well.  She comes to me more now to get strokes and only when SHE comes to ME is when i will stroke her back. Im trying to convince my fiance to try as well and also have patience. I originally thought she just needed to get used to the attention, i suppose that wasnt it. Thank you xxx

catspaw66

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Wonderful, I am so happy to hear this. It will take some time before she trusts you completely, but you are on the way.