growling kitten

katachtig

Staff Member
Admin
Purraise
They haven't been together very long. I think you are doing very well since the introductions were rather immediate. The normal course is to keep the newcomer separated for a few days and give both a chance to adjust to the new scents.

I would suggest spending some play time with your girl by herself. This will help her feel more secure and she will start purring again.

As to the growling, unless there is blood drawn, don't worry about it. Most of the time, cats are good at working out some sort of truce. There is a lot of noise but no action.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

kat_krazy

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Charmed654321

It's sort of like punching a baby for giggling and shaking a rattle, and you wouldn't do that. Try to let it go for a while and see what happens.
I think it is more like reprimanding a toddler for being grabby or not sharing, which is just part of teaching good manners IMO. It's not like pushing his head down scares, hurts, or stops him from playing. I'm never mad when I do it and am very gentle, it is more of a reminder that my NO is to him. My other kitty and him get along great now though, they are inseparable
. She is back to purring when she lies still enough to get pets although she has decided her little brother is much more exciting and rarely gives me the time of day anymore

charmed654321

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by kat_krazy

I think it is more like reprimanding a toddler for being grabby or not sharing, which is just part of teaching good manners IMO. It's not like pushing his head down scares, hurts, or stops him from playing. I'm never mad when I do it and am very gentle, it is more of a reminder that my NO is to him. My other kitty and him get along great now though, they are inseparable
. She is back to purring when she lies still enough to get pets although she has decided her little brother is much more exciting and rarely gives me the time of day anymore
First, I need to apologize for that terrible typo. I meant to type punishing, not punching. I type very fast (120 wpm at last count) and I do 3 or 4 things at once and sometimes I make really bad typos.

Second, I apologize for the fact I did not clearly explain what I meant by that statement, and I realize by your response I was misunderstood.

Actually, I agree with the technique, and as I said, have used it myself. I understand completely that you are doing it in a gentle way, and are in no way hurting your baby.

What I meant was that punishing him for simply growling is like punishing a baby for shaking a rattle...it's a natural behaivor and not one that really needs to be punished or retrained.

It was not meant to be a comment on the actual punishment, or how you were doing it, in any way. It was a comment only on the cat's behavior, and I apologize for the misunderstanding and for being so unclear.

poohandwendy

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Charmed654321

First, I need to apologize for that terrible typo. I meant to type punishing, not punching. I type very fast (120 wpm at last count) and I do 3 or 4 things at once and sometimes I make really bad typos.

Second, I apologize for the fact I did not clearly explain what I meant by that statement, and I realize by your response I was misunderstood.

Actually, I agree with the technique, and as I said, have used it myself. I understand completely that you are doing it in a gentle way, and are in no way hurting your baby.

What I meant was that punishing him for simply growling is like punishing a baby for shaking a rattle...it's a natural behaivor and not one that really needs to be punished or retrained.

It was not meant to be a comment on the actual punishment, or how you were doing it, in any way. It was a comment only on the cat's behavior, and I apologize for the misunderstanding and for being so unclear.
I totally agree with you Charmed and I understand your point. The example I gave in my earlier post was 'it's like telling your cats not to talk'. Growling without attack (especially if they are not attacking unprovoked) is communication, pure and simple. They need to communicate to live in harmony. Trying to suppress their communication that will likely cause more friction between the cats than less.

I would let it go unless there is serious fighting going on. Give them a chance to determine their own pecking order. It's natural for them.

poohandwendy

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I wanted to add another thing. (a clarification)

In the cat world, the only reason a mother cat would 'reprimand' her kitten for growling is to insert her dominance, not to just get them to stop talking (growling). I do not think humans usually need to prove their dominance to cats, unless the cats have a bad habit of attacking them, unprovoked or in an non-playing manner.

So, IMO, reprimanding or re-training cats for growling is unneccesary for owners, in most cases.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

kat_krazy

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I don't know he is a pretty dominant cat I think asserting my dominance wouldn't hurt in his case. For example when I am eating he jumps up on me and runs for my plate, I put him down on the floor, he jumps back up, I put him on the floor, he jumps back up, I put him on the floor.... you get the picture! He runs and jumps right on my plate before I know what's happened! Doesn't matter what I am eating he even goes for lettuce. He growled while doing this the first few times although now at least he doesn't do that. And this is right after he's eaten so he's not hungry
! This morning I was eating boiled eggs and since my method of putting him back on the floor wasn't workng I thought I would just show him how unpleasant my food was so when I was done I put some egg shell on the floor for him. Well... he ate it!
He's just a little piggy with toys AND food so I don't want it getting out of hand. Have to admit he is good for a`laugh though, what a quirky personality he has!

charmed654321

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by kat_krazy

I don't know he is a pretty dominant cat I think asserting my dominance wouldn't hurt in his case. For example when I am eating he jumps up on me and runs for my plate, I put him down on the floor, he jumps back up, I put him on the floor, he jumps back up, I put him on the floor.... you get the picture! He runs and jumps right on my plate before I know what's happened! Doesn't matter what I am eating he even goes for lettuce. He growled while doing this the first few times although now at least he doesn't do that. And this is right after he's eaten so he's not hungry
! This morning I was eating boiled eggs and since my method of putting him back on the floor wasn't workng I thought I would just show him how unpleasant my food was so when I was done I put some egg shell on the floor for him. Well... he ate it!
He's just a little piggy with toys AND food so I don't want it getting out of hand. Have to admit he is good for a`laugh though, what a quirky personality he has!
Now, THIS is a perfect situation, I think, to use that technique, because this is unacceptable behavior that can be retrained.

Any time he jumps on the table and goes for my plate, I'd take him by the scruff of the neck saying "NO," while pushing gently down to the table. But you have to follow through with the 2nd part.

I'd then pick him up and bring him over to his dish, and put a few pounce treats or something like that in his dish, then pet him and give him positiove verbal encouragement.

That's what it said to do when I read about this technique. Not only to stop them from the unwanted behavior, but to try and understand what it is they are trying to do, and redirecting it to a more positive behavior.

A human trying to assert dominance over a cat. LOL