Growling behavior

toytoo

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I've recently taken in a "stray" female cat.  She is very friendly and loving.  I am trying to locate her owner in the neighborhood but I'm thinking someone must have dropped her off because of her weird behavior.  She is very docile, but seems to be having some type of "fit".  She growls very loud when eating and scoops up her food with her paws.   When we first took her in I thought it was because of her thinking that the food would be taken away, but she also does it when sitting on a lap or just sleeping.  Her whole body contracts and she makes this awful noise.  She does not drool or urinate so I don't think it is epilepsy, but stomach stomatitis came to mind.  Going to look at her mouth tomorrow.    I have two other cats who get along with her, but they will not eat when she is eating because of the noise.  Has anyone experienced anything  like this?  If I can determine that no one owns her I will make a vet visit soon, but do not want to spend a lot of money if someone claims her.   Tomorrow will be spent knocking on doors or leaving notes hoping someone will come forward. 

shadowsrescue

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
If you have not found her owner, the first step is a trip to the vet.  The vet can let you know if she has a micro chip.  You do not want her around your other cats until she has a clean bill of health. 

ravenseye

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Short of finding the owner(s), a vet visit sounds like a great start. That said, my first reaction is that she feels the need to be defensive while eating. It could be because she's had to defend her food (or her right to eat it) in the past and now it's a way of life, or it could be that your presence or the presence of other animals makes her feel like she needs to send out a warning. Try feeding her alone and out of sight. That includes sounds made by other pets that could trigger her behavior. Since your other cats won't eat while she behaves like this, it won't affect them anyway as you can feed them separately.