Group treatment for feral cats

amy bowers

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
We have 4 adults and 5 kittens (about 9 wks old) that need to be wormed. We bought some wormer with piperazine as the active ingredient. I know that piperazine can upset stomachs so I don't want to overdose the cats but how can we treat this group of cats? I've seen where people say to estimate the weight of the cats and then put the appropriate amount of med in the food/water and treat for 3 days to ensure a full dose for all cats but I don't know if that works for piperazine.

ondine

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Found this on the 'Net:

Mix proper dosage with any amount of palatable feed that will be consumed in one serving. If possible, confine treated pets for a day or two so that the droppings can be collected and destroyed. Heavily infested animals may require a second treatment after two weeks.

Consult your veterinarian for assistance in the diagnosis, treatment and control of parasites.

Dosage Table: (Measure accurately)

Body Weight

2 1/2 lbs. or less

1/4 teaspoon

5 lbs.

1/2 teaspoon

7 1/2 lbs.

3/4 teaspoon

10 lbs.

1 teaspoon
It sounds like you'll have to feed them each separately with the proper dosage, which is going to be a royal pain.  The article I read also said it only treats roundworms, so you may need something else if hook worms or tape worms are the issue.  Can you get a general wormer from the vet?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

amy bowers

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
We have tapeworm wormer and know how we can dose that one but wasn't sure about how best to do the piperazine.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

amy bowers

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Oh I think maybe I'm being confusing! Lol! I have the dosing amounts and everything I just don't know how to dose a bunch of cats that can't be handled since they are feral. I was hoping that maybe someone had done a group dosing of piperazine successfully.

Norachan

Staff Member
Purraise
How close can you get to the cats? If they won't let you handle them but they will let you get close enough to feed them you could try guessing the weight of each cat and putting the wormer on a treat and giving them one each.

Or could you feed the adult cats and the kittens separately? I guess there won't be much difference in the weight of the kittens so you could mix up a batch of kitten food and a batch of adult food with a stronger dose of the wormer in it.