Gross question

kitcatmeow

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Not sure if this goes here but my cat is always letting my dog lick his butt. Is he just too lazy to clean it himself or what? I'm pretty grossed out, I catch the dog doing it several times a day, I'm not sure why either one would want this happening!

cinqchats

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
HAHA! Your cat is getting free grooming and your dog is getting a free snack! 

inanna

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I think it might be a dominance thing, but that's really just a guess. I had a German Shepard that would not only lick my smaller mixed breed dog's butt, but also eat his stool. Suffice to say her breath stank and I'm left thinking a dog's mouth is NOT cleaner than our own.

After talking with the vet about it, he said it was a dominant dog thing. He recommended putting biterant in the smaller dog's food so the Shepherd would discontinue this gross habit. Worked like a charm.

stephanietx

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
It's totally normal.  Grooming each other, including the genitals is part of mutual love. 

craftygirl

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
LOL! It's a dirty job, but someone has to do it, right? 

My vet once told me that cat poop contains a very high amount of protein and dogs just LOVE it as a "snack". When we had our dog, we had to watch him like a hawk, as his favorite thing in the world was to sneak off to the litter box for what we called "kitty box crunchies". Yuck!  I always knew when he did this, as there would be cat litter stuck to his lips/jowls afterwards (he was a boxer). Now, it is hilarious to think about, but at the time, disgusting.

I think your dog might be doing this because he likes the taste. Gross, but funny. 

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

kitcatmeow

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
LOL! It's a dirty job, but someone has to do it, right? 

My vet once told me that cat poop contains a very high amount of protein and dogs just LOVE it as a "snack". When we had our dog, we had to watch him like a hawk, as his favorite thing in the world was to sneak off to the litter box for what we called "kitty box crunchies". Yuck!  I always knew when he did this, as there would be cat litter stuck to his lips/jowls afterwards (he was a boxer). Now, it is hilarious to think about, but at the time, disgusting.

I think your dog might be doing this because he likes the taste. Gross, but funny. 
So gross! We keep the room with the litter box gated off so he can't get to it! He only does it to one cat, or rather only 1 cat will let him get close to do it. Ick