Grooming tips?

cjlovescats

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My boy has long soft hair and sheds a lot. He likes when I brush him with this harsh metal brush, but his skin always gets red and irritated after. Should I get him another brush from the pet store? Silicone/rubber brushes always get stuck in his fur and make him mad. What type of brush should I get?

GemsGem

Mentor
Staff Member
Mentor
Purraise
For a long haired cat you need a comb not a brush. ;) The best type is a moulting comb the ones with both long and short teeth :D

spiffykitty

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
As a cat groomer, I've noticed that we humans have a tendency to overdo it. Feline skin is unbelievably thin. It is easy to rip or irritate this skin. It is thinner than dog skin. The thinnest areas are the belly and the inside of the limbs. I suggest doing a little brushing or combing at a time. Use only enough force to remove the dead/shedded fur. 

Metal combs are a terrific grooming tool. I think every cat owner should have one. You can buy a larger one for the body, and a little one for the face, behind the ears, and other smaller areas.

If you keep experimenting, you'll find the best tools for your cat. It's great that you are taking the time to groom your cat!