Grooming Supply Recommendations (combs, shampoo, etc)

pinkeed

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I'm wondering what the best comb is for a Persian cat. I have heard that the Chris Christensen and greyhound ones are both very good (someone also mentioned Liz Paul). I comb her daily and bathe her once a month. Right now I am using one of those cheapy $2 ace combs from Walgreen's, but she's chewing it up (it's a nice small size for my hands though). Since it's something I use everyday I figured it was time to buy something better.

Shampoo-wise I am using the baby shampoo from Pet smart, since it's tearless. I heard that Anna products are supposed to be good. Should I be using brighters?

Eyewise, I saw someone mention eye envy on the forums for the stains. I'm currently using baby wipes to clean around her eyes and back end. Are these safe? Should I be using wipes that specifically say eye wipes and/or cat wipes?

I do cut around her back end because she often travels with "things" attached. I'm wondering if it's just easier to shave though and how noticeable that is.

Anyone try any of these or others and have recommendations?

Other grooming supplies I own:
Furminator (don't use this on the Persian, for other 2 cats)
Slicker Brush

Other information that might help:
She's going in for a spay in a week and is currently 6 months old. She's a very small cat, almost 4 pounds at last vet visit. The max she will grow to is probably 6. Her purebred papers consider her to be a blue shaded tabby. Her main color is gray with white undercoat. Her fur is thin, but plentiful. Much like my hair lol. Maybe I'll learn something about that too.

This is a picture of Ruby Rose, in her favorite sitting spot...

GoldyCat

Staff Member
Purraise
I'm not sure what the ace comb is. Is it plastic, metal, long teeth? The best thing for longhair cats is a comb with round metal teeth. My cats are all shorthair, but I have a comb that I use on the longhair cats at the shelter. The one I have is similar to this, except I think the teeth on mine may be spaced a little further apart. I like it because of the handle. I've seen a lot of persian owners using one like this at cat shows, with narrow and wide spaced teeth on the same comb.

Baby shampoo is fine for now. If you're going to show her I would use a specialty shampoo. I'm not familiar with Anna's so can't give you an opinion on that. Maybe another member has used it and can tell you something about it. I use Jerob products on my show cats.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

pinkeed

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
An ace comb is plastic and it's not holding up to her chewing. :(
This is a picture:

I'm not planning to show her at this time (or more likely not at all), not even sure if she is show quality. I just want her to look her very best. :) She does have the temperment for it though, not scared of vacuums or blow dryers like my other cats. She's also very friendly, but not as friendly as my tortoise shell. Given the chance I think she would probably run around and stare into other cages, lol.

Never heard of Jerob products I'll have to check them out.

GoldyCat

Staff Member
Purraise
I would recommend getting a metal comb. They tend to generate less static, and they stand up to chewing better. ;)

posiepurrs

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The plastic comb can cause the hair to break over time. If you look closely at the teeth, you will notice there is a ridge in the middle if each tine. That will damage the coat. At least if your comb is anything like the Ace combs I have seen in the past. I suggest a metal comb - it doesn't have to be an expensive one, but if you do a lot of grooming on a lot of cats the higher end combs are best. They reduce stress on your hand.

Jerob products are good products. If you get the color brightening one make sure you get the correct one for your cats color. they are fairly inexpensive since you dilute the shampoo it lasts a long time. Don't use it full strength - follow bottle directions. If you can get to a cat show they should have vendors there that sell these products. Most have experience with showing cats so should be knowledgeable about what types of products would work best for your cat.

I would suggest warm water and make up pads (cotton only) or a wash cloth to clean around her eyes. You could also use saline for contact lens wearers.  Be careful with the baby wipes - some could irritate the eyes. I have used Eye Envy in the past but I try to stay away from it. It has an antibiotic in it and I don't want to use medicine for a non medical problem.  When you clean the eyes and dry them, you can then apply corn starch in the creases to help keep it dry. Use very little or it will crust. She could outgrow the running eyes. I have had that happen.

silverpersian

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I am very happy with this comb:

This one is even more effective, but a bit harder to use, especially if you are left-handed. It gets more of the undercoat.

I have used them regularly for over three years, and they are as good as new.

I don't show my cat, but he is always clean and fluffy. I don't bathe him anymore, but when I did, I used a tearless unscented baby shampoo - the all-natural kind. I bought a tearless cat shampoo but did not end up using it because the instructions said to avoid using it for cats under six months of age. The reason  I don't bathe him anymore is that he doesn't seem to need it. I put him on a raw diet, and he doesn't get greasy anymore and is always fluffy. His feces are very dry and don't leave a residue, so I don't need to trim his rear anymore either. Changing the diet took him from being a high-maintenance kitty to one that needs the same maintenance as a shorthair.

When I did trim his rear, I either asked the vet to do a sanitary trim or used these scissors while he was sleepy. They don't make any noise, so he barely knew what I was up to.

I use these nail trimmers. You can find nicer ones with padded handles.

I tried this mat rake back when he got the occasional mat, but I accidentally cut him a little once and am now terrified. They are too sharp for a fidgety animal.

I use a very wet and warm paper towel to clean his eyes. I bought eye wipes, but they are scented and that seems like a very bad idea. My cat is silver shaded, and the eye staining is barely visible. Your cat is likely to be similar. I would rather see a tiny bit of staining than put questionable things near his eyes. Back when I did bathe him, to cut down on the traumatic baths, I tried a few brands of pet wipes, but none of them did much.

Don't forget to brush her teeth. She is beautiful!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

pinkeed

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thanks for all the advice!

I ended up getting a stainless steel comb and a pin brush for her. Is there a specific way I should be brushing her teeth because her face is so flat?

Last edited: