Grooming Miss Fluffy Butt

tinkermiss

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Phoenix is only 2 right now and fully capable of cleaning herself. But this question applies to when she is older and unable to clean properly.

Now my Nanny had 2 long hair Persians when I was growing up. Cat and Snowball. Cat passed away when I was young however Snowball was put down in 2006-07 (don't remember the exact year). She was put down because her health took a turn for the worse after my Nanny passed away. But as Snowball got older she couldn't clean herself too well after using the litter box. Therefore she'd have poop hanging in her fur. She'd have baths to remove them but she hated the baths.

With Phoenix she is a medium hair length and has a lot of thick fluffy fur by her butt. Hence the nickname Miss Fluffy Butt or Fuzz Butt. But would it be better to trim that fur as she got older? Anyone have experience with this? Just thinking ahead.

orientalslave

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
*if* you get that problem the easiest solution in my view is to keep the fur round her anus trimmed short.  Do make sure she is used to being regularly and thoroughly groomed, and a brush will just skate over the surface.  You need to use a metal comb and/or a slicker.  Some people swear by a Furminator, I didn't like it when I used one.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

tinkermiss

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
She is used to being groomed. I use both a brush and comb for her. As soon as one of the cats see either the brush or comb they "alert the others" and then I've got 3 grown cats purring away like crazy hoping to be first.