Grooming and age concerns

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Hi! It sounds as though all is well. I think your mama cat is experiencing afterpains & loose bowels from labor, delivery & eating the membranes, but if it continues or she appears distressed, take her asap to the vet in case of infection. So glad the kittens are doing well. Hopefully, @stefanz will respond soon about the points & the panting & loose bowels. I hope mama kitty feels better soon. Please let us know. Congratulations and good luck!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

ishtar163

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thank you for the reassurance! She no longer seems distressed at all, thankfully.

A new question: how much is it ok for the kittens to gain each day? I know I've read it's supposed to be about 10g, but they have all been gaining more than that. One did only gain 8g the first day, but has more than made up for it. Most of them have been gaining over 15g a day! Is that ok, or is my scale broken? Mama has been eating a lot, too!

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
They are adorable. Mama kitty will continue to eat a great deal while she's nursing. Nursing takes a lot of calories. Make sure she is getting high protein food. They are too sweet! Glad they are gaining so well.

mservant

The Mouse servant
Veteran
Purraise
Just look at all those teenies with round bellies!   Well done Rachel, she is feeding them well.  Very happy to hear she seems more comfortable and settled today.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

ishtar163

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thank you all for the kind words! I am thrilled that things are going smoothly! I am especially happy for Rachel, that she is able to have a warm and safe place to raise some happy and healthy babies before she gets to retire to someone's lap for the rest of her years. :)

I am also immensely enjoying watching the kittens....I am shocked that I can see little personalities emerging already! For instance, the black and white kitten is a super greedy eater, crawling over everyone and stealing their nipples. Then the littler black one always hisses and spits when I come to the nest...it's absolutely adorable! It reminds me of the little kitten Toulouse from the Aristocats, lol.

mservant

The Mouse servant
Veteran
Purraise
@ishtar163   I LOVE Toulouse in the Aristocats, always been my favourite.   And he's a blue kitty!  
    Watching tiny beings develop and grow is fascinating, I could do it all day every day and never get bored.  I hope you see all thrive and shine in their own individual little ways, and Rachel shine as a cat mother.    

misterwhiskers

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Wow, these babies really are adorable!! [emoji]10084[/emoji]️[emoji]10084[/emoji]️[emoji]10084[/emoji]️[emoji]10084[/emoji]️[emoji]10084[/emoji]️+a [emoji]10084[/emoji]️ for mama cat as well!! And they are huge!! Doesn't it boggle the mind to think they were all inside this one cat not all that long ago?