Groceries - what do you spend?

natalie_ca

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Snake_Lady

I really have to say wow. The range at which has been discussed in this thread is astonishing to me.

I really thought that the #'s would be lower, especially in this time of poor economy....

But, what we're not seeing, is cost of living where the posters live. I think my grocery costs are less than X locations.....Luckily, I do not live in a town where things are overly expensive.... most are cheaper than in the nearby city.
The cost of living where I am is high. It's not the highest in Canada like you would see in Toronto, Vancouver or Calgary, but it's up there.

cdubbie

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
For one person I average $350-$450/mn. Occasionally I have a cheap month due to good prior stocking up.

I tinkered and tinkered...Just to get to $330 takes an enormous amount of work and usually failure. Certain things I won't compromise. I have however, reduced my 'eating out' budget. Once I did that, my grocery budget went way up. It's a trade off.

I'm including just food. I do separate pet food runs and usually buy household products at Target in lumps.

zoeysmom

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I would guess about $2-300 per month on average for 2 people. I don't budget, so it can vary quite a bit. We don't go to the grocery store every week...except maybe to pick up some bread/lunch meat for lunches. If we go every other week, I would say our bill is probably under $100. However, if it's been a while since we've made a good trip (not just to pick up odds and ends), we can spend $200 or so stocking up on staples. Every couple of months we make a trip to Costco, which is where things can get pricey. But, what we buy there lasts us a while.

I typically don't buy cat food, litter, bath/beauty products, etc. at the grocery store, so I don't include that amount, although those costs are more sporadic than regular.

We buy in bulk whenever we can, which saves us money, especially on meat. I'm also a bargain hunter and am willing to pass something up if it's ridiculously expensive!

februa

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
We spend about $100 a week for 2 adults, and 2 cats. I admit I use very few coupons, and buy a lot of "premium" groceries, including organic meats and veggies. I have really cut down on pre-made and frozen foods, and that also puts the bill up a fair amount. Also, groceries in Edmonton are much more expensive than they were when I was in Toronto, especially dairy, fruits and veggies, chicken, and dry food items (cereals, pastas, lipton sidekicks etc.). Not surprisingly, beef is relatively inexpensive here and quite delicious, so I eat more red meat than I did before coming out west - this is certainly not a "good" thing, but again, is quite delicious. We also order in about once per week (Im a pizza addict) and go out to a less expensive restaurant about once or twice per month.

zooy

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
We spend about $60 a week on human food.
$10 a week on rat food (veggies and actual food)
And about $30/2 weeks for cat food.

starryeyedtiger

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I try to budget everything since $ is tight. If I need to go to the grocery store, I make a list and stick to it...and while I'm shopping, I write down the cost of everything so I can keep track. I clip coupons and carpool to the store with my sister kimmy normally.

Normally I spend about $150 on groceries for me (a little more or a little less depending on what staples I have already and if I need toilet paper, paper towels,etc.) Some months It may be a little more but I try to keep it around that range...I cook a lot at home becaues it's healthier/cheper. I spend about $75 a month on the pets needs. I have a german shepherd puppy, 3 cats, and several fish tanks (fish supplies,cat & dog food, heartworm/flea/tick prevenative/ cat litter/etc. I'm stocked up for the next year on heartworm and flea/tick prevenative as well as my fish tank needs so I'm just figuring that into the picture overall....the only thing I buy monthly is pet food and cat litter). My medicine is about $100 a month with health insurance and generics (sometimes my doctor gives me free samples of my prescriptions, so I don't have to pay as much to get them filled). So about a total of $325 depending on the month. (Sales tax in Memphis is around 9.25% depending on what you buy, so it's pretty high).

mismaris777

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I'm not exactly sure, since I don't handle the finances, but for 1 adult and 3 cats, I'd say it's roughly $150/month? Maybe less, maybe more. That's including most cat supplies. That does not include my prescription meds (I've got a whole buttload of those
) and it doesn't include Pirate's meds. My prescriptions are over $100/month easy. I haven't bought cat food for a long time, since I got 2 huge bags for free a while ago (the food is crap, so it'll have to change once it's gone), so as soon as that is gone, it should go up. I buy lots of store brand if possible, but since I try to get natural or organic foods, it's kinda high.