Grizzly Man

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

hissy

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Yes I saw it was on television last night- and thought about re-watching it but I just couldn't. The ending was to sad to sit through it again. Living in Alaska you have to respect the wildlife there. I watched a moose try and kill someone who got in front of her and her calf by accident (a tourist taking a photo). The moose ran the man back to his volkswagon and then rolled the car over and stomped all over it. It was pretty dreadful and amazing all at the same time. That's how I view the Timothy Treadwell video- amazing and dreadful-

sunnicat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It is recording on my dvr as I type. I caught part of it last night, but couldn't devote the three hours to watch it. I'm still not sure I'll be able to do it, but wanted to record it in case I do decide to watch.

noni

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I have mixed emotions about Timothy Treadwell, but I have to say that the movie was absolutely brilliant and incredibly well done. Everything from the interviews to the clips to the music was spot on. What I find wonderful about the movie (aside from the technicality of it) was that it showed both sides to the story, and didn't just play on Treadwell being "crazy" or being "perfect and visionary." He definitely was not the same as most people, but that's as far as I'm willing to go.

The director/producer did NOT include the sounds of the death of Treadwell and his girlfriend. His position was perfectly stated inasmuch as (paraphrasing) "there is dignity in everyone's death, and I will not be part of a snuff film. Including the tape would be unnecessary in the telling of his story." And for that, I have utter respect for Werner Kartzog (good grief, I'm not sure if that's his name), the director/producer.

Overall, a phenomenal film which allows you to enter Treadwell's life and the bears' environment...and learn a bit about both bears and oneself in the process.

Best-
Michele

momofmany

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I caught it on Discovery last night. I have to agree with the comment that he was manic/depressive. My brother was bi-polar and suicidal and I couldn't help but recognize the same behaviors in Timothy. It was terribly disturbing to me. I couldn't tell whether he was so insane that he didn't realize that he was really putting his life in danger or was simply suicidal. I got angry with him and while I wanted to turn it off, I was drawn to it kind of like how people gape at accidents.

My husband had the same reaction to the movie. Even though he is the type of person who would give up everything to help animals, he couldn't relate to the extremes that Timothy went thru. And this coming from a man who has lived in a cave, can start a fire from sticks, and lived off the land for a while.

It's 4:30 in the morning and I'm up because I was having weird dreams about beers tonight. The movie obviously had a profound effect on me because I'm afraid to go back to sleep until I shake the dreams off.

lunasmom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yes!!! I saw that on Discovery Channel last night. I was fascinated by the scenery and footage that he got.

I'd have to agree that he was bi-polar. One of his friends mentioned that he was on medication to help with the extreme highs and lows, but after a few months he stopped taking the meds because he felt that it just wasn't who he was. That the only way for him to be himself was to have the extreme highs and lows.

I overall enjoyed it and can respect what he did for the bears. However they could have cut the part about him going off on the u.s. government rangers could've been shorten. I agree to put it in there, but not for so long.

From what I remember, him being killed was never caught on camera, just on mic. When the coronary mentioned the girlfriends screams getting louder during the final moments, my boyfriend pointed out that they were probably killed because her screaming aggitated the bear further. Really though they shouldn't have been in the woods at that time though. TT even mentioned that the regular bears that he's use to went into hibernation and the wilder ones were roaming the forest looking for food.