Grilled Chicken Experiments

Winchester

In the kitchen with my cookies
Veteran
Purraise
Rick's church made the best grilled chicken. Since they stopped making it, I've been trying to duplicate the recipe. While each time has been good and the chicken is moist and tender, there's something missing and I cannot figure it out. It's really good chicken, but it's not THE chicken. Last night, Dear Richard said, "Well, you know, they used charcoal." Well, dang. We have a gas grill.

We recently got a fire pit. So, for next week, we're going to layer charcoal in the fire pit and try making our chicken that way on a rack in the fire pit.

I'm going to get this right (or as close as I can get it!). And meanwhile, Dear Richard will be subject to eating more chicken, not his most favorite food by a long shot.

1CatOverTheLine

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Three in a row - mine's an old Weber kettle style, and I wouldn't trade it - and none of those charcoal briquets, thanks. Lump charcoal is the only way to go.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Winchester

In the kitchen with my cookies
Veteran
Purraise
We used to have a small Smokey Joe grill by Weber and we loved that thing. We took it camping, took it on picnics. Nice and small and it worked well. Eventually it rusted through. I guess we'll have to look into getting another one!

I agree about lump charcoal....no briquets here either, if we can help it. My BIL swears by lump charcoal.

Don't get me wrong. I really do enjoy using our gas grill. The thing is big, with six burners and a lot of space to cook most anything. But sometimes, charcoal is the way to go.