Grieving cat!

lianex

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi, I'm new to this site just after a bit of advice. 3 days ago I lost one of my beautiful boys to the road. His brother (litter mate) has been so unsettled, pacing, searching and after never meowing in his life has started being very vocal! He is also following us from room to room. How can I help him??

meowsonya

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
First off, I'm so sorry for your loss! A similar thing happened when my dog passed away (the dog and cat were best friends). I would recommend spending as much time with him as you can or perhaps even getting a new toy to keep his mind off of his brother. If you're able to, try fostering a cat from a shelter so your kitty has a playmate/friend to be with while he gets through this difficult period. 

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

lianex

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thank you we are all all heartbroken he was a real wee character! We have bought him new toys today he played for a while and went back to searching. Apollo is he quieter of the 2 and just doesn't seem to know how to cope without Zeus. I was thinking of a new mate but would be scared of him rejecting it.

catlover73

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thank you we are all all heartbroken he was a real wee character! We have bought him new toys today he played for a while and went back to searching. Apollo is he quieter of the 2 and just doesn't seem to know how to cope without Zeus. I was thinking of a new mate but would be scared of him rejecting it.
Perhaps you could try and contact some shelters or rescues in your area.  One of them may allow you to foster a cat or a kitten to see if adoption would be possible.  Fostering would allow you to know if Apollo would benefit from a new mate. I have an Apollo also.

Last edited:
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

lianex

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thank you for the reply. I have a few friends that run rescues from home I might see what they can do for me. At least if it is foster if Apollo gets stressed out I can give it back with no problems

bugsypawsey

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Im so sorry for your loss. I cant figure out how to post a new thread, I hope not to offend by writing off your. We had to make that horrible decision to put our 14 year old beauty unexpectedly last week. My boyfriend rescued her as a kitten only a few days old with all her siblings. My boyfriend was the first person she saw and 14 years later the last. Its been devastating to him. He has never lost a pet and been the one to have to make the decision. Besides his grief our other cat is looking for her and is obviously grieving. How can I help them? Im barely holding it together myself. Please give me any advice. Thank you

kittens mom

Kittens life was lost to a negligent veterinarian.
Top Cat
Purraise
Im so sorry for your loss. I cant figure out how to post a new thread, I hope not to offend by writing off your. We had to make that horrible decision to put our 14 year old beauty unexpectedly last week. My boyfriend rescued her as a kitten only a few days old with all her siblings. My boyfriend was the first person she saw and 14 years later the last. Its been devastating to him. He has never lost a pet and been the one to have to make the decision. Besides his grief our other cat is looking for her and is obviously grieving. How can I help them? Im barely holding it together myself. Please give me any advice. Thank you
http://www.thecatsite.com/f/19/crossing-the-bridge   You will get more support and advice by posting your loss on the Crossing the Bridge forum. There is a blue button on the top left that says start new thread.

I am so sorry for your loss.

verna davies

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
leanex so sorry for your loss. A similar thing happened to me last year. My 15 year old died
leaving my 17 year old. She grieved terribly, calling and searching. I was advised to distract her when she called by either making a fuss of her or distracting in some way by giving a treat. I was also told not to start something that I was not prepared to continue doing. It was difficult and it took 6 weeks for her to settle a little. I then got a 9 week old kitten for company for her. At first she hissed and would not have anything to do with the kitten but after about a month they became friends. It takes time and patience but is worth putting in the time. They can't understand what has happened and we can't explain to them. Good luck.