Grieving cat, not happy with new cat in house...

kmd

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
We have a 4.5 year old tortie, who has been with us 3.5 years. When she came, our older cat Georgie pitched a fit and it took 4 months of work before we could totally leave them alone. Venus warmed up to Georgie over the years, and would even lick on the head. Georgie mostly ignored Venus.

Georgie's death in May hit our household hard, as she was 17 years old. The first week and a half after Georgie's death, Venus was enjoying herself, eating up the attention of being the only cat in the house. But after that week and a half, it was like she feel into a depression - someone said to me that Venus had figured out Georgie was not coming home from the Vet now...

5 weeks after Georgie's death, we went through the humane society and asked for an adult that had been passed over by other people. We got a very loving and sweet 3 year old named Abigail.

We have a neat cat room that they stay in during the business day, that features 3 scratching posts, 2 litter boxes, and 4 cat towers. They are primarily out with us early morning, and from late afternoon until late night.

We did all of the cat introduction techniques by the book, and they finally met face to face about a week after Abigail came. She was ready to meet a new friend and Venus mostly hissed.

One month into this, we have seen Abigail extend the paw of friendship to Venus many times, only to get hissed at or rebuffed. The worst thing is Venus acts ill all the time, even toward us... and just isn't herself.

Basically, Venus hasn't been herself since Georgie left the house for the last time. As devastating as Georgie's death is, Venus' change in personality has been difficult too.

I am guessing with time everything will be okay, but any suggestions would be appreciated...

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
I would get Venus checked out at the vet to make sure he is not having any health issues. Beyond that, it sounds like he is still grieving. Cats are very sensitive to change, so apparently the loss of the old cat and the introduction of the new cat has upset him.

It sounds like they have a fantastic room to stay in, and spend quality time with you guys when you are home. Unless Venus is suffering a health problem, it just may take a few months for him to realize the new cat is not going away and stop hissing.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

kmd

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thanks sarthur2, last weekend I vowed if things were not better to go see if she had a medical problem... but this week I just decided we were taking baby steps and I didn't take her...

Last night I tried isolating Abigail for about 9 minutes and taking a wand toy and just playing with Venus, and that seemed to help her some. Because she will not play with a toy in Abigail's presence, she sits staring at you like she's mad...