Grieving Cat Has New Habit Of Waking Me Up Very Early For Attention

Ginnyc

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hello, I just updated another post in the health forum where I explained how one of my cats, Louie, passed away unexpectedly. His brother Dougie was pretty depressed, as they’d been littermates and were inseparable for 6 years. For a couple weeks he was lethargic and very clingy, prone to sad meowing and staring into space. He’s still clingy but now that he’s feeling more energetic he’s begun waking me up every morning about 4:30/5, begging for attention and acting playful. This has happened the last 6 days or so. Before, when they would wake me up for food, all I had to do was push them off the bed and they would get the message and stop bothering me. Now that not only doesn’t work, but it sets him off knocking things down all around the room before he comes back to me and begins yanking my hair with his teeth! What I suspect is happening is that he expects me to replace his brother for their morning play time. Before his brother got sick they would play together before I was awake, and now he wants me to fulfill that role.

I’ve never had problems with them sleeping in my room because they were never really disruptive like this, but if he keeps this up I’m going to start locking him out! Although that will be a struggle of its own, because I know he’s very persistent about scratching at and rattling doors when he really wants in. Also I would feel bad for him, because he’s still grieving and he’s never had to sleep alone before. I’m gladly accepting tips or tricks to deal with this. And if any of you have dealt with grieving cats, do you think this behavior could become permanent or will he adjust? Thank you

abyeb

Charlie's Purrson
Veteran
Purraise
I'm so sorry to hear about the loss of Louie. Cats do grieve when a friend passes, but it will get better over time. This article describes this: Do Cats Mourn?

I think that the reason that you're seeing this behavior change is because Dougie is missing his friend, and so he wants to be closer to you. It definitely is possible to have a kitty sleep in the same room as you, and them not wake you at the odd hours. This article is a great resource describing some steps that you can take: How To Stop My Cat From Waking Me Up At Night (step-by-step Plan)

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Ginnyc

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I'm so sorry to hear about the loss of Louie. Cats do grieve when a friend passes, but it will get better over time. This article describes this: Do Cats Mourn?

I think that the reason that you're seeing this behavior change is because Dougie is missing his friend, and so he wants to be closer to you. It definitely is possible to have a kitty sleep in the same room as you, and them not wake you at the odd hours. This article is a great resource describing some steps that you can take: How To Stop My Cat From Waking Me Up At Night (step-by-step Plan)
Thanks for those resources, the second link is very helpful and I’ll start trying some of those tactics tomorrow :)

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hello. Just wanted to welcome you to TCS, and offer condolences on the loss of your Louie. When you feel up to it, we have a Crossing the Bridge forum where you could post a memorial tribute to him.

About Dougie's behaviour, he probably is feeling lonely now that his buddy is gone. I hope the articles abyeb abyeb posted will be helpful.