Grieving and bored cat - how to introduce a new kitten?

puddertatten

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I had two cats that were companions for 14 years, until the older one had to be euthanized recently. The decision was made quickly because she had cancer that went undiagnosed for awhile, and she was very ill. The 14 year old is exhibiting boredom and grief. I'm not sure exactly how much of each, since she licked me excessively and now has stopped. So it's possible much of this is boredom. My vet is the one that enlightened me about cat boredom in a situation like this.

Anyway, I have her, and my mom (who we live with) has a very mellow 4 year old that loves to play. We have decided, with the blessing of our vet, to get a kitten. I plan to pick her up soon; I've seen the local shelter has one I really like. These cats will all be female.

I've never gone about official steps to introduce a kitten to grown cats. Ashley was introduced to Emily the day I got her (Ashley was the kitten and Emily was a year old). This happened unexpectedly because Ashley got out of her enclosure. Thankfully they became friends within three days.

How should I introduce the kitten in this situation? I'm going to be very careful to make sure Ashley is comfortable and doesnt get the idea shes been replaced. Ive been giving her lots of extra love and special treats. Does it need to be done as carefully as with adult cats (the two weeks of introduction behind enclosures)?

Thank you!

Ms. Freya

Advisor
Veteran
Purraise
It's always a bit tricky when we lose one. I'm sorry for your loss.

If you haven't already, you may want to take a look at our introduction pages:

[article="32680"][/article]

[article="29726"][/article]

They have some great directions and hints on introducing new cats to the household. The key will be to take things slowly, follow you cats' cues and pace and to make sure everyone has a spot in the house where they feel safe.

Good luck!

NewYork1303

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
In general kittens do not make good companions for 14 year old cats. They are far too wild and crazy for an older cat to really enjoy having around. At best most older cats simply tolerate kittens rather than actually becoming friends with them. I would not recommend a kitten at all in this situation. An older cat or an adult cat would be the best option. 

If you do decide to go ahead with the new kitten, follow the pace of the older cat or the cat that seems the most upset by the situation. Keep the cats completely separated for several days at least. Then start feeding them on either side of a door. Once they are eating on either side of the door without any trouble at all, You can let them see each other maybe through a baby gate. Only after they can do this without any negative reaction should they meet in person. 

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

puddertatten

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Thanks all for your suggestions, I really appreciate it.

I've been watching the 14 year old now as an only cat, and she seems to actually be doing better now that her old friend has crossed over. I've seen this happen before, but I didn't know if she'd do this. She was always the "alpha". Now, she's purring more than she ever has, and is sticking next to me, but not in a clinging needy way - a happy way.

I'm glad for her, a little sad for me (I so longed for a kitten!), and have ultimately decided to let her be the only one. Her kidneys are failing, and I don't want to make her try to compete with a kitten.

Thank you all again; it was largely advice I got here on this thread that helped me make my decision. Ashley thanks you too!