Grief & Sadness

2 Feral Kittens

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I have cared for two feral kittens and their mom for some time! Unfortunately I found one of the the kittens deceased by the side of a busy road. I plan on having him cremated but before doing so should I show his lifeless body to the sibling that is constantly pacing & meowing? I have cameras set up and it's breaking my heart even more so seeing so lost<<<

Meowmee

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
So sorry. I have been through this and I know how painful it is😿 hugs to you 💕

Can you get mom and the other kitten inside? Maybe a rescue can help.
I usually have a wake of sorts for my cats and let the other ones see them before cremation. I did not do that for Giorgio and Jezibel for the outdoor kitties, they were both outdoors who passed. I did not feel able to do that but if you can figure out a way to do it and you think it will help I guess you could try it. It might help the kitten.
I took them inside to try to save them so they did not die outside. But I am sure the other cats knew they were ill before I took them in.

tabbytom

Happiness is being owned by a cat
Staff Member
Mentor
Purraise
I have cared for two feral kittens and their mom for some time! Unfortunately I found one of the the kittens deceased by the side of a busy road. I plan on having him cremated but before doing so should I show his lifeless body to the sibling that is constantly pacing & meowing? I have cameras set up and it's breaking my heart even more so seeing so lost<<<
So sorry to hear about the kittens passing away but I want to thank you for caring for them.

Yes, the other kitten sense that his sibling is gone and constantly pacing and meowing is because he is mourning for his lost sibling. Here's an article on do-cats-mourn and you may help him overcome the sadness.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

2 Feral Kittens

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
So sorry. I have been through this and I know how painful it is😿 hugs to you 💕

Can you get mom and the other kitten inside? Maybe a rescue can help.
I usually have a wake of sorts for my cats and let the other ones see them before cremation. I did not do that for Giorgio and Jezibel for the outdoor kitties, they were both outdoors who passed. I did not feel able to do that but if you can figure out a way to do it and you think it will help I guess you could try it. It might help the kitten.
I took them inside to try to save them so they did not die outside. But I am sure the other cats knew they were ill before I took them in.

Thank you! Thank you for understanding how painful this is & for the 😿 hug! I'm so sorry for you losses! 💔
I wasn't prepared for how much I love & care about them!
My hopes are to catch both the sibling & the mom to TNR them but possibly see if they can be tamed so they can live inside, Both the two kittens will come with in a foot of me as of last week. This week the surviving sibling is not her usual self of coming close but I understand she is lost without knowing where her sibling is, So that's why I thought it might be best for her to see her deceased sibling.
I'm truly at a lost on what is right before I take him to be cremated.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

2 Feral Kittens

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
So sorry to hear about the kittens passing away but I want to thank you for caring for them.

Yes, the other kitten sense that his sibling is gone and constantly pacing and meowing is because he is mourning for his lost sibling. Here's an article on do-cats-mourn and you may help him overcome the sadness.
Thank you! Caring for them was easy and making sure they were fed daily with a heated food & water bowl and my husband built two fully insulated shelters that I would add more straw weekly.
Thank you for attaching that article! I just am unsure if I should let her see her deceased brothers body before I have him cremated.

Meowmee

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thank you! Thank you for understanding how painful this is & for the 😿 hug! I'm so sorry for you losses! 💔
I wasn't prepared for how much I love & care about them!
My hopes are to catch both the sibling & the mom to TNR them but possibly see if they can be tamed so they can live inside, Both the two kittens will come with in a foot of me as of last week. This week the surviving sibling is not her usual self of coming close but I understand she is lost without knowing where her sibling is, So that's why I thought it might be best for her to see her deceased sibling.
I'm truly at a lost on what is right before I take him to be cremated.
Ty ❤ Yeah I did not realize how painful it was going to be. just because they are living outside does not mean we don’t love them the same way, as we love our indoors.

There is also guilt for me associated with not having them come inside sooner. So I would really try to do that if you can. I hope someone can help you if you don’t feel able to do it. But if you can get them to the point where they are tamed you can either keep them or get them adopted. Most cats can be tamed and live inside, it just takes time and letting the cat lead the way. Just accept them as they are.

At this point I really would focus on getting them inside asap before another one of them gets hit by a car. I would not worry as much about him seeing his sibling has passed away etc. he may have already seen his sibling after he was hit by the car. But if you think it’s going to help then you can show his body to them.

tabbytom

Happiness is being owned by a cat
Staff Member
Mentor
Purraise
Thank you! Caring for them was easy and making sure they were fed daily with a heated food & water bowl and my husband built two fully insulated shelters that I would add more straw weekly.
Thank you for attaching that article! I just am unsure if I should let her see her deceased brothers body before I have him cremated.
B23897A4-51D3-4BD3-9BCF-7803C930DEA6$L0$001~photo.GIF

Think it is not necessary for the other cat to see her deceased brother's body. She already know that he's gone. She's just in the phase of grieving. At this point, try to make her as comfortable as possible and play with her to take her mind off her brother. This is the time for you to get real close to her and to bond with her and she needs you at this time and through this, it'll be easier to socialize her and getting to know you better.

Once the trust is formed, preparer a place in your house and get ready to bring her and her mommy in and also get ready to spay her mommy. It'll be safer for them to be indoors than being outdoors. Bring them in soon.