GREY KITTEN POOP

Milo and Maple

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi! I just joined the cat site because my 6 week old kitten, who I adopted last week, has grey stool all of a sudden. Her stool was brown and normal looking the first couple days, but now it is mostly grey with a bit of brown in it. No diarrhea thank goodness. I did change her food, not sure what the previous owners were feeding her. I have her in Fancy Feast wet food for kittens. Any advice would be awesome. Thank you!!

Attachments

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
She's very young to have been adopted, and was probably still nursing at least part of the time. The IDEAL time for weaning kittens is between 8-12 weeks. However, she's home now, so we'll go from there! SINCE she was almost certainly nursing at least some of the time, and SINCE you are pretty sure you've changed her food pretty abruptly, this is almost certainly the cause. She may develop diarrhea, as well. At her age, since she's gone through some major changes, let's stick with what you are giving her for awhile, but let's also consider adding some KMR to her diet for another 6 weeks. KMR is Kitten Milk Replacer. It comes in both liquid and power. Almost everyone here much prefers the powder. Just mix a bit with her food to make sure she's getting ALL of the nutrients a very young kitten needs. She might take a bottle, or medicine dropper.

Welcome to TCS! When you have a minute, head over to New Cats on the Block and introduce yourself and your new baby!

Got to warn you...sometimes kittens who are weaned this young have some behavior issues. It's all stuff that Mama Cat and siblings would have taught her that she's missed out on. Should anything come up, we're ready and willing to guide you throug Cat Mother 101!

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
I agree that it is likely the change in food. Give it time, and as others have said, give her a dish of kitten formula to lap each day. Hydration is important. Also, leave a dish of dry kitten chow for her to snack on between wet food meals. Enjoy your new baby! :)

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Milo and Maple

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
She's very young to have been adopted, and was probably still nursing at least part of the time. The IDEAL time for weaning kittens is between 8-12 weeks. However, she's home now, so we'll go from there! SINCE she was almost certainly nursing at least some of the time, and SINCE you are pretty sure you've changed her food pretty abruptly, this is almost certainly the cause. She may develop diarrhea, as well. At her age, since she's gone through some major changes, let's stick with what you are giving her for awhile, but let's also consider adding some KMR to her diet for another 6 weeks. KMR is Kitten Milk Replacer. It comes in both liquid and power. Almost everyone here much prefers the powder. Just mix a bit with her food to make sure she's getting ALL of the nutrients a very young kitten needs. She might take a bottle, or medicine dropper.

Welcome to TCS! When you have a minute, head over to New Cats on the Block and introduce yourself and your new baby!

Got to warn you...sometimes kittens who are weaned this young have some behavior issues. It's all stuff that Mama Cat and siblings would have taught her that she's missed out on. Should anything come up, we're ready and willing to guide you throug Cat Mother 101!
Hello! Thanks for your reply. I understand she is too young to be adopted... I saw the ad on Craigslist and it looked as though she needed help. She was partly nursing from a mother who was also nursing 20 other kittens. My kitty’s mother was nursing two litters. My kitten was also eating solid Friskies food mixed with water to water it down. It was a pretty bad environment for these kittens but luckily they’re being fostered now or adopted.
I thought it could be the change in food. I am supplementing her food with KMR. She doesn’t seem to be into it at all and will only go for the wet food, so I miss the wet food with the KNR.

let’s hope she doesn’t get diarrhea! One week so far so good.
Thank you!!

Milo and Maple

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise

my current cat was weaned too early as well. I adopted him from a farm with over 30 cats when he was about 6 or 7 weeks old. He’s the best cat I’ve ever had! I’m aware there could be behavioral issues! Thanks!

happykitty

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Our shelter gets donations of the fancy feast kitten but I have seen many kittens get diarrhea while on it. I believe it contains meat by-product (notice how it just says meat without identifying the animal), artificial flavors, and milk, so these type of ingredients can be upsetting for some kittens.

Milo and Maple

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
She doesn’t have diarrhea! Just grey stool. Her stool consistency is perfect!

Mamanyt1953

Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Mix, not miss ! 😋
LOL, after a certain number of days and posts, which escapes me right now and which I CANNOT FIND in the Site Help section (it's buried in an article, and I can't remember which one), an "edit post" button will appear at the bottom of each of your posts. Until then, do what you're doing...we ALL did!

I'm so happy to hear that this isn't the first baby you've rescued! I'm a little shocked that she's doing as well as she is, considering where she came from! That poor mama cat has to be utterly overwhelmed!

Milo and Maple

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
LOL, after a certain number of days and posts, which escapes me right now and which I CANNOT FIND in the Site Help section (it's buried in an article, and I can't remember which one), an "edit post" button will appear at the bottom of each of your posts. Until then, do what you're doing...we ALL did!

I'm so happy to hear that this isn't the first baby you've rescued! I'm a little shocked that she's doing as well as she is, considering where she came from! That poor mama cat has to be utterly overwhelmed!
Haha I will figure it out as I go 😋

yeah I’m surprised she’s doing so well, too! I’m going to de worm once she weighs more, because i know her mother and litter mates had fleas. I’ve given her a few flea baths and a couple did come off her so I’m going to do it every day until i don’t see fleas coming off her for about three days. I’m doing all of the things to prevent the fleas from spreading into my house. I change her bedding every time i bathe her, i vacuum my room (the room she stays in) every day, I put eucalyptus essential oil drops around the edge of the carpet (she doesn’t venture there so she doesn’t get the oil on her). Do you like a certain brand of de wormer?

thank you for all of your advice. This little girl is going to grow up big and strong. ❤

Mamanyt1953

Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Due to the fact that Hekitty is stronger than I am, her vet administers her worm meds, and I'm ashamed to say that I'd have to look at her records to tell you what it is! As for fleas...when you vacuum, place a good flea collar in the bag, or if it is bagless, place one around the filter. That will keep them from escaping the vacuum and reinfesting your house. DO NOT ask me how I know this, but it was hard-learned!

Milo and Maple

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Due to the fact that Hekitty is stronger than I am, her vet administers her worm meds, and I'm ashamed to say that I'd have to look at her records to tell you what it is! As for fleas...when you vacuum, place a good flea collar in the bag, or if it is bagless, place one around the filter. That will keep them from escaping the vacuum and reinfesting your house. DO NOT ask me how I know this, but it was hard-learned!
Luckily the fleas aren’t anywhere else in the house and we have been emptying the vacuum every time I use it into the garbage bins outside.
I don’t quite understand the first part of your message, sorry!

Mamanyt1953

Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
LOL, my cat is stronger than I am, and fights like a tiger when I try to give her medications. I either get stuff transdermal (can be rubbed on the ear), or injectable (I"m pretty good at cat shots), or I take her in. She fights so hard that I've had to go to the ER to get stitches...she wasn't trying to hurt me, she was just trying to get away. She's...difficult. And I adore every hair on her!

Milo and Maple

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
LOL, my cat is stronger than I am, and fights like a tiger when I try to give her medications. I either get stuff transdermal (can be rubbed on the ear), or injectable (I"m pretty good at cat shots), or I take her in. She fights so hard that I've had to go to the ER to get stitches...she wasn't trying to hurt me, she was just trying to get away. She's...difficult. And I adore every hair on her!
Maple has perfectly brown poop today!! Yay!!