Greetings from Japan :)

foxypaws

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi, I'm new here, no I am not a first time cat owner, however I do have some questions maybe more experienced cat owners can answer.

3 days ago I brought a new kitten into our home, we currently have a 6 month old GSD, and another cat which I had adopted as a stray, his age is unknown. We found out rather quickly that Totoro (New kitten) doesn't particularly like Zelda (puppy) However Gunther (older cat) has taken a liking to Totoro, and it seems like he's even taken on a father like  place. Totoro is also fond of Gunther, they play and Totoro purrs and rubs against Gunther. Here is my concern, will Totoro bond to Gunther and not me? I mean, he comes to me for sleeping (sometimes) he does play with me on occasion, but mostly with Gunther. Totoro doesn't come to me when beckoned with hand gestures or sounds, I figured this is because he's only been here for 3 days, and needs time. 

Do any of you have any pointers on how I can be sure Totoro will bond with me?

Any pointers will be greatly appreciated thank you! :)

Kat0121

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Hello and welcome! He'll bond with you. Play with him, talk to him, sing to him, just spend time with him. I would hand feed him healthy treats such as bits of plain cooked chicken or something like that so he associates you with good things. Letting him see you bond and play with your older cat helps as he can see that your older cat trusts you and that means that you can't be all bad.

I wold also leave a piece of clothing that you have worn near where he likes to nap. He will get used to your scent. How does the puppy feel about the cats? are you training him to understand that the cats are part of the family and they need the dog's protection as well? I adore GSD's. they are my favorite breed.

Take things slow and be patient. The cat is in the driver's seat when it comes to relationship building. Try to interact with him at his level by sitting or laying on the floor instead of looming over him. I think that with time, patience and lots of love, you will be best pals. We'd love to see pics of all of your furkids!

Last edited:

Norachan

Staff Member
Purraise
Hi, welcome to The Cat Site.

I think you've had some really good advice from @Kat0121  Let the new kitten see you playing with the older cat, he'll soon want to join in. Even if he does bond very closely with Gunther that doesn't mean that he won't love you too.

One thing I've found really useful is to have a specific sound that you make only when you're giving them something really special. I have a psst psst psst noise that I make when I give them treats or their favourite wet food. It will take him a few days to learn what this sound means, but he'll soon come running whenever he hears it.

This is really useful if the kitten ever goes missing or if you want him to stop what he is doing and come to you in a hurry. Works much better than calling his name or any other word.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

foxypaws

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
thank you so much for the reply. :)

Yes Our puppy is good with cats, they just don't like her, though if I met something with the head the size of my body I would be freaked out too lol.

I can't ry leave a shirt where he sleeps, he usually sleeps on me or next to me. So I'm guessing that's a good sign right?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

foxypaws

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise

Hi, welcome to The Cat Site.

I think you've had some really good advice from @Kat0121  Let the new kitten see you playing with the older cat, he'll soon want to join in. Even if he does bond very closely with Gunther that doesn't mean that he won't love you too.

One thing I've found really useful is to have a specific sound that you make only when you're giving them something really special. I have a psst psst psst noise that I make when I give them treats or their favourite wet food. It will take him a few days to learn what this sound means, but he'll soon come running whenever he hears it.

This is really useful if the kitten ever goes missing or if you want him to stop what he is doing and come to you in a hurry. Works much better than calling his name or any other word.
thank you for the idea I will certainly try that