Green/eco-friendly Product Recommendations?

EmersonandEvie

Mom to Evie, Emerson and Dexter
Top Cat
Purraise
I am trying to make a cognizant effort to make more eco-friendly purchases and start replenishing my care and cleaning products with greener alternatives. I want to start a thread with everyone's preferred green/eco-friendly products that they use!

I have already switched to a natural deodorant- Little Seed Farm. I cannot recommend their deodorant products enough and, most importantly, THEY WORK. I am outside doing field work most days of the week and I still smell fresh by the end of the day. I've tried them all and this is THE BRAND.

I want to switch to bar soap and possibly bar shampoo.

I need recommendations for greener laundry detergent and dishwashing detergent as well.

Cleaning supplies too! I usually use Simple Green on hard surfaces, but I used vinegar, water, and Dawn on my floors.

neely

May the purr be with you
Veteran
Purraise
I've heard a lot of good things from friends and family about Mrs. Meyer's soap and cleaning products. I'm sure everyone has their own favorites but thought this might help a bit.

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I have been hearing good things about Lume deodorant. I'd like to try that soon. DD and I tried Toms; it only worked for 8-10 hours. I used Schmidts for a couple years and then I started getting rashes. It also changed the color of my armpits; which didn't bother me too much from an aesthetic standpoint, but its still weird. :lol2: I switched back to Secret for now and my underarms are back to normal and not stinky. DD is still using Dove unscented.

I really wish these companies would offer sample sizes because some are pretty pricy to decide it's not for you. :ohwell:

I have a few Norwex cleaning products that I like; but I don't use them for everything. My BFF has been a rep for at least 5 years I think. I especially like the makeup remover cloths. They feel nice. The glass cleaning cloth works well but don't use that on your actual eyeglasses. The Envirocloth took ink and highlighter off my couch with just water. :yess: BFF raves about their towels but I haven't splurged on any. The bath mat looks really nice.

I've tried a few kitchen cleaners labeled as "green" but I didn't put any research into it so I'll not name brands.

I have also been trying the Flex menstrual disc for that time of the month. I'm on month 2 and I like this much better; but I think there is a little learning curve I'm getting the kinks out of. Nothing big. I can almost forget it's that time; so that's great. And I'm tossing less into the trash. :thumbsup:

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

EmersonandEvie

Top Cat
Purraise
MoochNNoodles MoochNNoodles Little Seed Farm will send you 2 samples of your choice of scents for $2.99, if that's something you want to look into. I tried all of the stuff you can find in stores (Tom's, Schmitd's, etc.) and they 1.) didn't work once I sweated them off after a few hours and 2.) all gave me rashes and discoloration from the baking soda. LSF has been absolutely phenomenal so far!

I want to try Mrs. Meyer, but it's so pricey!

Lari

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I should look into that, too. I'm not 100% happy with my Tom's deodorant.

I love my Lush shampoo bar, though! And if you're a traveler, they're good to have with all those TSA liquid size requirements. I still use shower gel though instead of bar soap. Whoops.

I use the Softcups menstrual cups. You're technically supposed to dispose and put in a new one every 12 hours, but honestly, I just rinse it out and put it back in and use one per period before tossing, and it works just fine with no problem. It's not as eco-friendly as an official reusable cup, but throwing out one per month is definitely a reduction from my pad days (tampons never worked well for me) so I don't feel too guilty about it.

EmersonandEvie

Top Cat
Purraise
Lari Lari

I really can't recommend LSF enough. I don't work for them, I'm just astounded that I found a natural deodorant that genuinely works. It's a small, family-owner company in Tennessee. I love being able to support small businesses!

I have a menstrual cup as well that I LOVE. It's so convenient and if it's done right you just forget about it. It's great!

I'm looking into the brand Biokleen. We have a half container of Tide to go through, but I think that will be my next purchase when we need detergent. Only drawback is that it has to be purchased online though Amazon or their website. I get iffy about getting liquid products delivered because I can just see the mess they'd create if anything broke.

I have heard good things about Lush! I've only ever been in one when we lived near Charlotte, NC and would drive to Concord Mills Mall. Unfortunately, the only way I would be able to try their products now is if I bought them online.

Jem

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Not sure if this would be considered eco-friendly, but it's definitely natural and free from chemicals. I do what's called "oil cleansing" for washing my face.
I mix about 50/50 castor oil and grape seed oil with whichever essential oils I need at the time for my skin. You take the oil and massage it into your dirty skin for a couple of minutes, then follow up with gently wiping it all away with a soft hot/warm damp cloth. (You'll need re dampen with hot water to wipe a few times)
Oil attracts oil, so by massaging the oils into your skin it actually emulsifies the dirt, make-up and oil and lifts it to the surface. Then the hot damp cloth removes it while simultaneously steaming the pores to remove deep dirt (that was warmed and softened by the massaging of oil)
It is something you need to get used to if you're used the "squeaky clean" skin (which is actually not good, btw). But it also cuts down on how much I need to moisturize, which I've always hated doing because I actually have very oily skin, and very sensitive skin, that reacts to everything.
Oil cleansing as dramatically diminished how often I get blemishes and my pores are smaller. And at almost 40 I have yet to see any fine lines.
I would recommend oil cleansing for any skin type, you just need to know what combination of oil best suits you skin type. (if you're interested, let me know, I can help you figure that part out.)
With oil cleansing, you don't need make-up remover, you don't need any harsh soaps, and you can cut back on the amount of moisturizer you may need, or not need any at all, except an SPF. Which I would recommend getting a mineral SPF, they can be expensive, but they are very gentile and safe and natural as well.

EmersonandEvie

Top Cat
Purraise
Jem Jem that is very interesting! I have oily skin and I rarely wear makeup (only to like...job interviews or formal events...basically when I need to look more "put together"), so the idea of using oil on oil is strange, but the science behind it is sound. I will definitely look into it!

Jem

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I use the Softcups menstrual cups.
I have a menstrual cup as well that I LOVE
Ok, this might be TMI and I'm sorry, but I have to ask. I'm very "small" inside, and can't use tampons because the ones that I would need to accommodate my flow are too big, and if I go smaller so they a comfortable, they don't work. I have thought about trying a cup, but I wonder if they would fit someone who doesn't have a lot of room in there?

EmersonandEvie

Top Cat
Purraise
Ok, this might be TMI and I'm sorry, but I have to ask. I'm very "small" inside, and can't use tampons because the ones that I would need to accommodate my flow are too big, and if I go smaller so they a comfortable, they don't work. I have thought about trying a cup, but I wonder if they would fit someone who doesn't have a lot of room in there?
They have two sizes. One is for women that haven't had a child naturally and one is for women that have. I want to say that the one for people who haven't given vaginal birth is smaller, so maybe that is something you could look into?

It's a good conversation to have with your OBGYN. They can give you some guidance and other options. To insert the cup, you kind of fold it hotdog style (hard to explain without demonstrating) and then it "opens up" once it's up there. It will all depend, of course, on how comfortable you are because you know your body best.

• Purraise
Reactions: Jem

Lari

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
While we're being TMI, I'm not sure what size I am, but I had issues with tampons where they would always leak, no matter what size I tried. Like, half the tampon wouldn't even be filled and it would just come out, so whatever "shape" I am that didn't plug up properly, I don't have that same problem with the softcups. I meant to try them as a precursor to getting a real cup because you can buy them at Walgreens and they aren't too expensive, but I liked them enough I never switched. They do take some getting used to, but once you get it, they are amazing.

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I never liked tampons either. They were never comfortable; before or after kids. I'm not sure if the Flex disc would be any better size wise but it sits up around the cervix; so there is nothing hanging around in the vagina. I read it's similar to the nuva ring birth control. You just pinch it in half and slide it in place.

mani

Moderator and fervent feline fan
Staff Member
Purraise
I have a mould problem, but have discovered that a solution of pure clove oil mixed with a little witchhazel or vinegar and wiped on the wall and ceilings keeps it at bay for ages. First I wash it down with a vinegar and bicarb solution to get rid of the worst of it.

DreamerRose

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I am using Method cleaning products, which includes a liquid hand soap. They are all natural products and do just as good a job as the chemical ones. I especially like the all-surface cleaner.