Great update for Gracie, not so great for Bugsy :(

katkisses

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Oh Carolina, this isn't fair at all.
All you do to take care of them,

Is he jaundiced? Im guessing not if his other levels (bilirubin) were ok? I would ask the vet if it is ok to start Denosyl asap (its just SAMe) and Milk Thistle until he is off the meds and liver levels come back normal, since this is medicine caused and likely isn't going to be chronic. Bear and I learned that cat livers can really take a beating.

Just make sure you keep him stuffed with food... I would probably be over feeding, but he has so many poo issues.

Try not to feel sooooo overwhelmed (been there
) because he is not critical just yet, eating is great. And it is extra great that his other levels are ok. He isn't going downhill just yet. You caught this early, try not to focus on the number because other than that he is doing ok. I feel for you, I know your worrying your head off. Just know that you ARE NOT alone.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

carolina

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by KatKisses

Oh Carolina, this isn't fair at all.
All you to take care of them,

Is he jaundiced? Im guessing not if his other levels (bilirubin) were ok? I would ask the vet if it is ok to start Denosyl asap (its just SAMe) and Milk Thistle until he is off the meds and liver levels come back normal, since this is medicine caused and likely isn't going to be chronic. Bear and I learned that cat livers can really take a beating.

Just make sure you keep him stuffed with food... I would probably be over feeding, but he has so many poo issues.

Try not to feel sooooo overwhelmed (been there
) because he is not critical just yet, eating is great. And it is extra great that his other levels are ok. He isn't going downhill just yet. You caught this early, try not to focus on the number because other than that he is doing ok. I feel for you, I know your worrying your head off. Just know that you ARE NOT alone.
Thank you hun

No, he is not jaundiced and his bilirubin levels are normal; the only elevated level is ALT, which is why his vet is pretty sure this is due to the medication (s). He is eating well both wet and dry, I am watching him like a hawk. His dentist took him off his stomatitis medication as well, to be on the safe side... I will ask him about the supplements you mentioned... It is hard... I know well you have been there with Bear... Gosh, so hard to not see an end...

katkisses

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I know it feels like forever...
All I wanted to do when Bear was sick was curl up and cry... But you have to keep going for him & your others.

Is he acting normal? Its so weird... Bear acted 90% normal... to be so sick. As long as he is acting normal and not sitting there with eyes glazed over, I really think he will bounce back as soon as you can stop the meds. The occasional "I feel icky" is ok, because he is sick.

I guess what I am saying (and the reason I couldn't give up on Bear) is that I cant see how a cat that is acting normal can just die. Other than a stroke or something terrible like that... There is hope, A LOT of hope. Don't let your mind wander into dark thoughts, he is still here and you are doing everything you can. I really honestly believe that he will be ok, you take such good care of your babies and have a great vet.

I will be praying for Bugsman and you.

carolina

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

I know it feels like forever...
All I wanted to do when Bear was sick was curl up and cry... But you have to keep going for him & your others.

Is he acting normal? Its so weird... Bear acted 90% normal... to be so sick. As long as he is acting normal and not sitting there with eyes glazed over, I really think he will bounce back as soon as you can stop the meds. The occasional "I feel icky" is ok, because he is sick.

I guess what I am saying (and the reason I couldn't give up on Bear) is that I cant see how a cat that is acting normal can just die. Other than a stroke or something terrible like that... There is hope, A LOT of hope. Don't let your mind wander into dark thoughts, he is still here and you are doing everything you can. I really honestly believe that he will be ok, you take such good care of your babies and have a great vet.

I will be praying for Bugsman and you.
Yep, he is acting 100% normal... Sweet, mischievous, loving, just my baby boy he has always bee from day 1... He is the best kitty ever! He has me. Wrapped up around ALL his paws!

otto

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Carolina my deepest most heart felt congratulations on what you have done for Gracie.

I am so sorry to hear Bugsy is not improved and is having troubles related to treatment. Many prayers for him, and you, I love him like he was my own.

Bugsy

mrsgreenjeens

Every Life Should Have Nine Cats
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
I"m so sorry that this new medication for Bugsy is affecting his ALT. Hopefully, switching to yet another medication will correct that, and not cause diarrhea again, if I'm reading and remembering everything accurately.

But great news for Gracie!

Hugs for you and Bugsy. At least he isn't aware that things aren't quite "normal"
. That's a good sign.

carolina

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Bugsy was nauseated last night, so we are weaning off him from Sulfasalazine today. He will take today through Saturday 1ml (instead of 2), have Sunday off, and if he still has diarrhea start the new steroid Monday.

carolina

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

Awe I am sorry.
Maybe he took it long enough, you never know.
I am not sure sure what you mean, sure hope it is about the medicine...

kody's mom

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I am just throwing this out there--but on a Yahoo forum a breeder was saying he had excellent results with Vitamin B-12 injections for diarrhea. Another breeder said that she had used Diagel (from Revival Animal). It's generally used one time -- syringe with paste -- and
it completely stopped the diarrhea in a cat she was caring for
who supposedly had diarrhea for weeks.

Carolina--maybe you could mention this to your vet and see what he thinks???

carolina

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Kody's Mom

I am just throwing this out there--but on a Yahoo forum a breeder was saying he had excellent results with Vitamin B-12 injections for diarrhea. Another breeder said that she had used Diagel (from Revival Animal). It's generally used one time -- syringe with paste -- and
it completely stopped the diarrhea in a cat she was caring for
who supposedly had diarrhea for weeks.

Carolina--maybe you could mention this to your vet and see what he thinks???
He was tested for Vitamin B-12 deficiency, and he is not lacking it... Will take a look at Diagel.

katkisses

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I am not sure sure what you mean, sure hope it is about the medicine...
Um now I am confused lol. What did you think I was saying? Um, you/your vet were trying to keep him on the med that was working (and causing liver issues) but you ended up taking him off early due to nausea... right? Or did I get lost? lol. I was/am "sorry" because he wasnt able to stay on the med that helped... and said "maybe he took it long enough" because it helped him, and I thought you were worried about him getting the runs again. Vibes were for his liver values.

Not sure what you thought I ment.... I was not being mean/rude/negative, I would never do that to you!

How is the little man doing now?

(edit: re-read the thread... um maybe you thought I was saying to pts? Hell no!!!! That would be beyond insane. Especially coming from me. Many would have pts Bear, it just wasn't in his eyes yet.)

carolina

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

Um now I am confused lol. What did you think I was saying? Um, you/your vet were trying to keep him on the med that was working (and causing liver issues) but you ended up taking him off early due to nausea... right? Or did I get lost? lol. I was/am "sorry" because he wasnt able to stay on the med that helped... and said "maybe he took it long enough" because it helped him, and I thought you were worried about him getting the runs again. Vibes were for his liver values.

Not sure what you thought I ment.... I was not being mean/rude/negative, I would never do that to you!

How is the little man doing now?

(edit: re-read the thread... um maybe you thought I was saying to pts? Hell no!!!! That would be beyond insane. Especially coming from me. Many would have pts Bear, it just wasn't in his eyes yet.)
LOL, put is this way... Like you, I will never, ever ever ever EVER give up on my baby boy... Especially because he is full of life! As I type he is here, chasing a ghost like a maniac LOL, up and down the cat tree, jumping on the window sills, just playing 17lbs of terror! He is a happy little boy who loves life.... Just has soft poop, but meowmy and the v-e-t will get to the bottom of it (no pun intended) LOL.
Because he was going through a food transition, the vet didn't want to pull him from the meds all together at once, so we weaned him off of it. The day he had nausea we put him on 1/2 dose, then yesterday was his last, and today he has a day off from everything.
Tomorrow he starts on a new steroid, called Budesonide... Apparently a great one for stronger inflammations on the GI tract, with much lower side effects than pred. I was looking at the protocol for chronic diarrhea, and all the tests, specialized tests were done, what is missing now, if this doesn't work is an ultrasound, biopsy and exploratory surgery.
Discussing this with my vet, an Ultrasound wouldn't show enough of the intestines walls, but would show the other organs. We will do this if his liver levels continues to go up. Specialized tests on A&M didn't warrant the need for a biopsy, and also he did not show any improvement with pred. My vet said he would advise a biopsy in his case only if the tests indicated the risk of lymphoma, which they don't. That leaves exploratory surgery, which my goodness, I didn't want even to discuss that with the vet
Of course none of those tests are taken out of the possible things we will do, they are just not in the plan right now, as they do not fit the bill yet. There are things we need to do before getting there I guess...
We will see how he does on this steroid... Then cross the other bridges...
I have calls with my vet about 2x a week, and we follow Bugsy very very closely - all aspects... Mood, behavior, poop, water intake, nausea, everything really...
He is keeping his weight, is happy, playing, peeing like a champ, getting in trouble, being loving, and doing fantastic outside of the diarrhea. That is what keeps me going and gives me the hope of getting him all better!

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
May I give my 2 cents on the exploritory surgery.. For Sylvie it found a issue never considered and also fixed another

carolina

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by sharky

May I give my 2 cents on the exploritory surgery.. For Sylvie it found a issue never considered and also fixed another
Yeah... But I need to weight the risks against the benefits... It will be considered in time, but there are still things to try before we cross that bridge. If Bugsy was acting sick, and not doing well.... Sure... But aside from the diarrhea (which by the way it is only once a day), he is doing fantastic....
Exploratory surgery is a big surgery and with it has risks that I am not willing to put him through unless necessary. He is not there yet, and hopefully he won't be. I am not closed to it, and if the vet says it is the way to go, I will surely do... There aren't many options left at this point. But for now the way he is acting doesn't warrant the risks of an exploratory surgery IMHO.

my4llma

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I hope when you start Bugsy's new med it works for him, and gets him feeling better soon!