Great News!!!! Three of the kittens got homes!!!!!

ldg

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by StarryEyedTiGeR

This litter was a litter of 5 boys- Ruger, Kolar, Magnum, Pirazzi, and Blazer. 3 of the boys were thriving extremly well and were ready, so they were put up for adoption this week. The other two are a bit sickly, so i'm going to be fostering them for a while longer.I'm sorry about your little Flowerbelle's eye. But thankfully, she sounds like she's doing much better with such you looking after her
I remember posting "Then and Now" pics of Flowerbelle recently - it was in a thread of the same name back in October. And Nikki - you posted pics of Abilene and Kenzie - and HOW CUTE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Here's the post with Flowerbelle's before and after - actually, she turned 3 this year! :

http://www.thecatsite.com/forums/sho...9&postcount=37

...and as to Rugar and Kolar, I'm sure you'll have them nursed back to "full strength" soon (and it'll probably feel like too soon!)

Laurie

lionessrampant

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by StarryEyedTiGeR

I've fostered quite a few furbabies with it, so i'm pretty used to treating it at this point
/ We're very picky about how we do our adoptions and often tell our adoptors about upper respirator infects, and anything else they have a question on when adoptiong. We would never post anything about Herpes on their id cards- i agree with you- it tends to turn people away. Instead, if we have someone interested in adopting- we talk about the kitty their interested in and their medical history- we explaine everthing very detailed (and if they have a question about herpes, we are honest about it- we've never had someone turn down a kitty for that
) I agree with you- it is very common and usually pretty treatable depending on the specific kitty
Yeah, I mean, we do keep them in a separate room in the shelter, so people are aware that they have a special need, however minor. I like to tell our adopters that if they don't mind putting lysine powder in the food everyday and watching for outbreaks, then the kitty is a great choice since it's just so easy for a conscientious guardian to treat and they have a normal, healthy lifespan with preventative care. We even give our adopters a month's worth of lysine and 30 days where they can see our vet for free should there be an outbreak due to moving stress.

I find the one thing that turns people away pretty consistently is other cats in the home. ANd we tell them that yes, it is contagious, but their cat was most likely exposed to FHV at some point and as long as they are very careful about monitoring outbreaks and aware of the communicable nature of the disease, then we WILL adopt FHV cats to them. I have one cat with it (Leo) and the others do not. Since they're all shelter alumni, I just assume Raphael and Gracie were exposed, shook the virus and didn't become persistently infected.

Man, we really need a sub-forum where we can discuss sheltering and adoption counseling and adopting from shelters exclusively! I'm sure we all have some good ideas we could share and try to get instituted at our shelters!