Grain free wet food cause constipation

CatLover49

All Cats Are Special
Top Cat
Purraise
I tried my boy on WELLNESS GRAIN Free gravies wet cat food..Im pretty sure its made him constipated...Anyone else have this problem with this brand or any grain free???

Azazel

Time spent with cats is never wasted.
Top Cat
Purraise
How long has it been since you transitioned? It's normal for cats to sometimes not poop for a day or 2 between transitions.
It could be that he is constipated, but it's likely not just by virtue of the food being grain free. It may have to do with a different ingredient that is in the food.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

CatLover49

All Cats Are Special
Top Cat
Purraise
How long has it been since you transitioned? It's normal for cats to sometimes not poop for a day or 2 between transitions.
It could be that he is constipated, but it's likely not just by virtue of the food being grain free. It may have to do with a different ingredient that is in the food.
It happened during the transition....ONLY...Ok first he was on FF GRILLED CHICKEN IN GRAVY...NOT GOOD..BUT NOT AS BAD AS THE OTHER FF...WELL I WANTED TO GET HIM ON GRAIN FREE...SEEN ON HERE HOW ITS SUPPOSED TO BE HEALTHIER..SO I TRIED HIM ON NUTRO PERFECT PORTIONS...HE DIDNT LIKE THE CHICKEN FLAVOR...OR THE BEEF FLAVOR..BUT YES ON THE TUNA FLAVOR...WELL DONT WANT TO GIVE HIM...TUNA ALL THAT OFTEN CAUSE OF IVE SEEN ON HERE FISH ISNT GOOD FOR A CAT OFTEN...SO THAT NUTRO WENT DOWN THE HOLE BUT THE TUNA..WHICH IS BAD...WELL I PURCHASED WELLNESS GRAIN FREE CHICKEN FLAVOR (BITS IN AMPLE GRAVY)WELL HE LIKES THAT ONE..BUT HE SEEMS CONSTIPATED..WELL KNOW HE IS...SO NOW IM BACK TO SQUARE ONE...FF GRILLED CHICKEN FLAVOR..AND ALOT OF EXTRA CAT FOOD..WELL I CAN DONATE...BTW HES 11 YRS..And YES all this has taking PLACE within a month or less...Nothing started happening with constipation til I started changing his food...Please any advice???Im getting VERY stressed..And confused...

Azazel

Time spent with cats is never wasted.
Top Cat
Purraise
That’s a lot of food transitions in one month. Usually you want to introduce a new food slowly over a period of 10 days. It could just be that his system is all messed up because of all of the transitions. Just keep him on one or two things now that you know he does well on until he’s back to normal and then if you want to introduce new foods do it very slowly.

CatLover49

All Cats Are Special
Top Cat
Purraise
That’s a lot of food transitions in one month. Usually you want to introduce a new food slowly over a period of 10 days. It could just be that his system is all messed up because of all of the transitions. Just keep him on one or two things now that you know he does well on until he’s back to normal and then if you want to introduce new foods do it very slowly.
I mean I did do like a different can...slowly...But I guess too MANY different ones in amonth...Now I feel so bad...Or could it be hes getting old???Im going to take him to the VET if he dont get no better after I put him back on his regular wet food..Cause when I was doing the Transition...it could have been 2 months...I believe it was ...around 2 months..cause I know u r supposed to transition slowly...So yea I was looking at some receipts when got the other food n its been around 2 months...Of the transition...But he didnt get constipation until The WELLNESS...But either way hes going back to his regular wet food...N will talk to VET...Thanks for ure help...Cats of any age has a delicate system...n seniors has an extremely delicate digest system..in my opinion..So thanks for the advice...

Last edited:

CatLover49

All Cats Are Special
Top Cat
Purraise
I mean I did do like a different can...slowly...But I guess too MANY different ones in amonth...Now I feel so bad...
Or could it be hes getting old..Cause im going to take him to vet..if he dont get better after I put him back on his regular wet food...