Grain free dry and canned cat food?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

jessicaromano

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I went to the pet store today to try and find a grain free canned food. They ONLY sell Blue Buffalo canned food (same as dry food im feeding), nobody sells Evo here or any other grain free can food!

I noticed my cat was actually eating a small amount of the blue buffalo dry food, when all this time I thought she wasnt.

My question is, if I feed her 2 blue buffalo cans per day, with the BB dry food, if she eats very little dry food but all of the canned food in a day, is that enough for her for proper nutrition? She is 12 pounds, and the cans say 2 cans per day for 6-8 pounds, but then again she is a little overweight so perhaps it should be good?

auntie crazy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by jessicaromano

I went to the pet store today to try and find a grain free canned food. They ONLY sell Blue Buffalo canned food (same as dry food im feeding), nobody sells Evo here or any other grain free can food!

I noticed my cat was actually eating a small amount of the blue buffalo dry food, when all this time I thought she wasnt.

My question is, if I feed her 2 blue buffalo cans per day, with the BB dry food, if she eats very little dry food but all of the canned food in a day, is that enough for her for proper nutrition? She is 12 pounds, and the cans say 2 cans per day for 6-8 pounds, but then again she is a little overweight so perhaps it should be good?
How many ounces are the cans? Most cats seem to do well on about six ounces of canned food per day, but it can vary depending on the cat's metabolism, activity level, etc. (pet food companies seem to universally recommend more than cats really need).

I'd try about six ounces of canned a day for a little while (no dry) and see how that goes. If she starts losing weight, make sure she's not losing more than a few ounces a week - feed her another once or two per day if that happens - and watch for when she reaches a healthy weight... if she continues to lose beyond that, increase her food intake an ounce or two per day until she begins to maintain.

AC

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

jessicaromano

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Auntie Crazy

How many ounces are the cans? Most cats seem to do well on about six ounces of canned food per day, but it can vary depending on the cat's metabolism, activity level, etc. (pet food companies seem to universally recommend more than cats really need).

I'd try about six ounces of canned a day for a little while (no dry) and see how that goes. If she starts losing weight, make sure she's not losing more than a few ounces a week - feed her another once or two per day if that happens - and watch for when she reaches a healthy weight... if she continues to lose beyond that, increase her food intake an ounce or two per day until she begins to maintain.

AC
The cans are 3 oz, so 2 a day equals 6 oz. My cat is 10 years old (a senior) and is not very active. This is the canned food I got, in various flavors. http://www.petco.com/product/110946/...e-001b2166c2c0

minka

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by jessicaromano

The cans are 3 oz, so 2 a day equals 6 oz. My cat is 10 years old (a senior) and is not very active. This is the canned food I got, in various flavors. http://www.petco.com/product/110946/...e-001b2166c2c0
My cat is 16lbs and semi-active and he needs only 5.5oz a day. I would do as Auntie Crazy says and ditch the dry food. My cat refused to lose more than a pound when on a combo of wet and dry and only started losing when I switched him to all wet. He's lost 6lbs since March.

If your Petco doesn't carry anything more than Buffalo as grain-free, as long as she doesn't have allergies, I think for sanity's sake, you could also use foods with grains in them. I used to only feed grain-free, but now since I don't mind doing the math, I instead buy high-protein, low carb foods. I never buy anything with less than 42% protein and avoid corn, soy and dyes. Innova, Merrick, and Holistic Select are three of those foods.

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
General rule of thumb for a wet fed only amount... 1/2 once to one ounce per lb of body wt ( ie the ideal body wt) .. so a 12 lb cat who should be 10 would be 5-10 oz a day... In my experience 3/4 of oz seem to keep wt at right level and 1/2 oz for wt loss ...

Remember ANY wt LOSS should be closely monitored by a Vet .. Also the vet normally if asked will devise a calorie idea for a diet ( most do not like to as this is a bit of work)

ladycatus1969

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Originally Posted by Cat Person

For what it is worth the Evo Chicken and Turkey dry food is the only dry food my Savannah seems to be able to digests. I also use Taste Of the Wild dry food.

Some good caned grain free cat foods "according to my cats" are: Chicken Soup For The Pet Lovers Soul (adult type), Dave's Chicken, Dave's Turkey, Before Grain Chicken and Tuna, and that is all they like so far.
Sorry for jumping in , but my 7 mo old Sanchez has a diahrreah problem too worse with some foods less with others have to buy in the grocery any suggestions?

Thanks

gloriajh

FERAl born “Pepper”
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Ladycatus1969

Sorry for jumping in , but my 7 mo old Sanchez has a diahrreah problem too worse with some foods less with others have to buy in the grocery any suggestions?

Thanks
Hi, are you feeding dry food?
Some web vets say that any wet food is better than kibble.
Check out the link in my previous post here.

here it is again: http://www.catinfo.org/

here's another link - re: diarrhea
http://catcaretips.org/your-question...food-diarrhea/

Sorry that you must shop in grocery stores - have you tried online? I've been shopping online with PetFlow.com - free shipping with a $59.00 order - they do pretty good with their prices, product selection, and service.

Welcome to TCS!
Gloria

gloriajh

FERAl born “Pepper”
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by GloriaJH

Hi, are you feeding dry food?
Some web vets say that any wet food is better than kibble.
Check out the link in my previous post here.

here it is again: http://www.catinfo.org/

here's another link - re: diarrhea
http://catcaretips.org/your-question...food-diarrhea/

Sorry that you must shop in grocery stores - have you tried online? I've been shopping online with PetFlow.com - free shipping with a $59.00 order - they do pretty good with their prices, product selection, and service.

Welcome to TCS!
Gloria
P.S. I don't know if I need to add this - but, just in case --- you need to really consider contacting you vet. You don't know if food is his/her problem - could be something more serious. Dehydration is something of serious concern IMO.