Grace's Nausea

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

worriedsomuch

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
@GoHolistic, see that's why there are so many different factors with a cat's health that come into play. What works for one, might not work for another. It would be hard for me to give Grace a pill but can Pepcid be put in a pill pocket? If so, she would do okay.

@Random Gemini, I'm not really concerned about Grace getting rabies so that's why I don't believe she needs the shot. I am going to ask if he can write her an exemption though again to see what he says. I believe Grace did get a rabies vaccine once when she was spayed but that's it.

Unfortunately, to update, Grace has had a bad weekend which means I had a bad weekend too
She woke up sick again yesterday morning, definitely nauseous. Then later she was doing this odd thing where she'd be in the middle of something and then just jet off and go under the bed. I took this as a sign she wasn't feeling well since she typically vomits, which isn't often, under a bed. She also experienced some choking which I attributed to a hairball even though I've been giving her the remedy. I had to go out yesterday for about 6 hours and she was fine when I got home. However, she was cuddling and then randomly jumped off my lap again and I found her under the bed. She ate well though and I also picked her up a new brand of dry to start introducing since she will no longer eat the Science Diet. I ended up getting BB turkey, even though I intended to get the LI Nature's Variety. They didn't have that one so I figured I would try this one for now though. Anyway, she had a dinner of high protein BB turkey and some dry before bed. She had a small amount of the new one mixed with the SD to introduce it and she loved it. She fell asleep in her cat bed around midnight in the other room so I closed the door to try to get some extra sleep in because her morning nausea has me up at 5 AM. Around 6 AM this morning, which was really like 5 AM because of the time switch here, I heard yowling to get out of the room so I figured, here we go. Well she seemed to settle down so I didn't let her out until around 7. She seemed okay, wanting to eat, but I let her bird watch for awhile so I could snooze a bit longer. Finally I got up and went into the bedroom, and there is throw up on the floor.  It looked like regurgitation really but I don't see how. Isn't regurgitation typically immediate? I mean there was a good hour between when she ate it and when I closed the door to the room. The pieces were whole SD pieces. I also found a hairball under the bed. I'm not sure now if the BB made her sick or the hairball did and that's why she puked the food? Or was it that she just regurgitated due to eating fast and the hairball came up with it. Then I wondered if it was recent vomit and having her closed up in the room upset her so much, she puked. I doubt it would be whole or there'd be anything to puke so long after she ate though. I was very upset by the whole thing anyway. She did eat her breakfast though and even wanted another small amount a couple hours later so I gave it to her. However, she was bird watching (she loves it) and I happened to be bird watching myself with her and I saw her dry heave out the corner of my eye. It was just so random and uncharacteristic of her. Even when she has the morning nausea, she typically just smacks her lips. She doesn't gag. I'm just so beyond concerned about her. I spoke to my mother on the phone today and she cruelly told me that I "probably cursed her" since I worry about her so much. I am taking her in to the vet Tuesday to see what he thinks but I just can't believe she's suddenly having all this intestinal distress. I know changing things takes time to see improvement but it's just hard to see her behave this way.

Last edited:

worriedsomuch

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Just adding to this for the sake of it and for my own record I guess. Anyway, Grace is acting like she dislikes the BB turkey now. There hasn't been any puke all day Sunday and yesterday. However, I'm not sure if she is having issue with the food or if it's the fact that I still have to mix in the SD with it. She seemed to go crazy for it at first. Now she just walks over to the dish less than enthused. She eats some but leaves it. I guess it's not a big deal given she technically doesn't need dry at all. I guess that will be my next option is to just eliminate it. She also seems to hate all the grain free wet varieties too. I've tried so many. I have to mix it with another food sometimes that has grain in it to get her to eat it which isn't doing much, I know. I had e-mailed my vet my concerns and he called me from a conference which was really nice of him. However, now it doesn't look like I can take her in. I could take her in to see the other vets in the practice but he is most familiar with her case. Anyway, he said that he thinks the vomiting was likely due to the hairball and food change, same thing with the dry heaving. He feels her system is overloaded. He wants me to continue with the new food for awhile though and he said it wasn't a huge rush to bring her in. She had another brief episode where she dry heaved yesterday. It's like one small gag and then over. She also did the "run away" thing I mentioned before where she dashes away and I find her hunched under the bed. She just isn't acting like herself, hiding sometimes too, and I'm pretty nervous.

feralvr

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Just FYI, those rabies medical exemptions must come with a letter from a veterinarian. I have a dog that is exempt from rabies because she has cancer and is on high dose steroids. This is just about the ONLY circumstance in which you can get out of giving a dog or a cat a rabies shot. 

If your cat has had a reaction to the rabies shot in the past, your state MAY allow you to do titers in lieu of vaccination, which will prove immunity, but in order to get any immunity, the cat has to be vaccinated at least once. 

There is a REASON that rabies shots are the law. I understand your cat is delicate, but your vet is right to demand that you vaccinate her against rabies. I would rather know what the symptoms of a reaction are and be able to watch for them, than risk my cat getting rabies. It's a horrible way to go. 
Most ethical vets today will accept testing blood titers and most will also give a note to the state/city for owners of cats who are sick with any kind of disease/illness, not just cancer. The rabies vaccine comes with great, great risk that the pharmaceutical companies and unethical vets don't want clients to know. All cats and dogs in the U.S. are tragically over-vaccinated unnecessarily and thankfully most vets are changing their ways and going to the three year plan, not yearly.

If your cat is indoor only, then there is no need to risk giving the cat a rabies shot after initial immunization as a kitten. If boarding or pet sitters require proof - then all will accept titers. All of my cats received one rabies vaccination as kittens and then one more at age three. Immune for life now and as far as I know, blood titers are the way most go now and they are readily accepted. If I had a vet whom was adamant about giving a rabies vaccine instead of checking titers, I would find another vet immediately. There is no good reason not to accept blood titers.

If one is so worried about their cat getting rabies then the solution would be to keep them indoor only.

Last edited:

feralvr

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Gosh, I am so sorry that Grace is not doing well .... still..... :shame: From the sounds of it, her regurgitating whole pieces of kibble - it could be a hairball stopped up somewhere in her digestive tract causing this vomiting, nausea and not having a good appetite. Of course, this is all speculation on my part, but reminds me of one of my kitties from years ago whom had to have a very large hairball surgically removed. Since then, even though I have short-haired cats - they all get the lion cut shave in the Spring. I also groom my cats weekly as their hair grows back in the throughout the winter months. I have yet to have hairball problems with the regime. Plus, they are on a partial raw diet and canned diet. I think that helps too.

Unfortunately, hairballs do not show up in xrays! And, if I remember correctly, the hairball in my cat was visible on an ultrasound. Grace's vomiting could also very well be something in the diet that she is not tolerating anymore. I feel for you because it is not easy when one gets this way and you cannot pinpoint down exactly what is the cause. I really don't have the answers for you, hun, but wanted to drop in after I got your PM to let you know I have not forgotten Grace !!!! I guess at this point, I would ask the vet about an impacted hairball issue?? :dk: See if there is anyway to detect a hairball in her system. :vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes:

worriedsomuch

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
It's been awhile since I posted here, over 2 months, and a lot has happened. I REALLY need some advice and support. I'd appreciate any input you can offer.

Just to update, Grace turned 6 years old in April and is now on an all grain free diet. She still gets a very small amount of BB dry (LI grain free turkey) in the afternoon. However, she eats wet mainly brands which are Wellness, Tiki Cat, Sheba, and FF classics. Sometimes she gets other brands too because I constantly have to keep things in rotation as she gets finicky quite often.  Some things I have tried include getting her on a novel protein diet. It didn't work out. I tried duck and she dry heaved both times she had it. She seemed to like it somewhat but after 2 experiences of her gagging, I feel she's sensitive to it. She also won't touch rabbit, and venison. Anything with pork in it seems to make her ill as well.

For her hairball issues, I tried giving her some cooked egg yolk in her food but she would not touch it. I also tried the Vet's Best treats and she wouldn't eat those either. However, finally one day I gave it another go, and she loves them. However, all of her problems still persist and seem worse. Since last posting, Grace had an episode where she foamed at the mouth. It was obviously quite scary and resulted in a vet visit. The vet checked her over and she had gained back all the ounces she had lost so that was encouraging. He was going to do blood work but he said given the exam, he though a "wait and see" approach was okay. He said it seemed like a hairball issue at the time. He also agreed not to vaccinate her too, thankfully. Since the vet visit which was in mid March, Grace's morning nausea symptoms have persisted. When I finally got her to eat the Vet's Best treats (after the foaming issue), I thought that with the soothing natural remedies in it, that it might counteract the problem but it hasn't. She had about 11 days of morning nausea in April alone and this month, she has already had 11, including today. Also, to add, I found a mucous like/phlegm substance on my rug back in the end of last month/beginning of this month but I can't say for sure it's Grace who did that. I don't know if my asthma kitty coughed that up. Also, another morning, about 3 weeks back, I found some regurgitated food with a small amount of liquid. I believe both Grace and her sister had found some stray pieces of dry food leftover in a dish so I just assumed it was a "scarf and barf." I can't say for sure this incident was 100% Grace either. It could have been her sister. Grace experiences nausea during the day though too which I know for sure are hairballs sometimes but other times, I can't say. I had upped her amount of Vet's Best to one full tablet a day and that actually seemed to make it worse so I lowered it back down to just half a tab a day and it actually seemed more helpful to stop any gulping or choking during the middle of the day.

Now with Grace's morning nausea symptoms, she has never thrown up. She is just very "slurpy" as I would call it. She licks her lips a lot and makes loud slurping noises. However, the past 2 days, she has thrown up. I can say with certainty that it was Grace since both vomits were found in the bedroom she sleeps in. I woke up yesterday to find brown liquid on the floor with a very small hairball in it, like quarter sized or smaller. I called the vet and he said not to panic as I have been keeping him up to date on her issues and weighing whether or not she just just get the ultrasound. He doesn't think it will show anything. He recommends pepcid. I had given Grace some BB treats, Kitty Yum Yums before bed on Friday as a sort of late night snack in the hopes it would stave off any hunger issues. So when I woke up and found the vomit, my first thought was the treats made her ill or it was the hairball although with it being so small, I wondered. The vet said he thought it was the hairball and "don't be surprised if she throws another soon if it was small." I was praying she didn't but when I woke up this morning, I found a small line, not a puddle, of clear liquid on the floor. It honestly looked like water. I don't know if this was bile or what it was. There was no food in it, no hair. It looked like someone had spilled water basically. Grace's behavior has been fine lately. She's energetic, playful and was bird watching when I woke up to the vomit. Her appetite has been great today too. She even wanted more food about an hour after breakfast so I obliged her. I have seen her licking her lips a bit today though so I'm on edge that she might not feel 100%

Does anyone have any advice on what could be going on with her that she persists with this morning nausea?  I just can't seem to stop it and I'd hate to think she is now starting to throw up clear liquid with it too. I've tried feeding her later, late night treats, getting up earlier but 5-6 hours of no food makes her sick. Plus 2 days of vomiting has me upset and worried. Should I give her pepcid as the vet thinks? I'm afraid of it long term but the vet thinks she has an excess acid issue. Is it time to just bite the bullet and get the ultrasound?

Thanks in advance

Last edited:

cocheezie

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
You could try 1/4 tablet of Pepcid AC at bedtime (since mornings are the worst) just to see if it is a stomach acid issue (not the other Pepcids which contain ingredients not good for cats). Pepcid AC works fast, and you'd know within a day or two if it's a stomach acid issue or not. If so, you could then work with the vet to find a stomach acid inhibitor that you feel comfortable with.

stephenq

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Many things can cause nausea besides hairballs, and hairballs usually produce some type of hacking noises as she tries to expel the hairball.  Has she been evaluated for IBD, kidney issues and pancreatitis?

worriedsomuch

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise

You could try 1/4 tablet of Pepcid AC at bedtime (since mornings are the worst) just to see if it is a stomach acid issue (not the other Pepcids which contain ingredients not good for cats). Pepcid AC works fast, and you'd know within a day or two if it's a stomach acid issue or not. If so, you could then work with the vet to find a stomach acid inhibitor that you feel comfortable with.
Thank you for replying. Isn't excess stomach acid though a symptom of a disease, rather than a disease in and of itself? This is what I'm confused on. I have no problems giving her pepcid but I just don't want it to temporarily control symptoms if there is something else going on.

Many things can cause nausea besides hairballs, and hairballs usually produce some type of hacking noises as she tries to expel the hairball.  Has she been evaluated for IBD, kidney issues and pancreatitis?
Thanks for the reply. Sadly I am all too aware that nausea isn't always from hairballs. Sometimes, I know it is a hairball as in she is coughing and then gulping. Sometimes she gulps and then later coughs. Other times it's more vague as in the nausea could be from anything. In the morning, I assume her nausea is from hunger. I do know that her nausea symptoms have become much worse during this shedding season. She has not had bloodwork yet. At her last vet visit, after the foaming issue, the vet discussed getting her tested for potential kidney issues or pancreatitis. However, by the end of the exam, he ultimately thought we could "wait and see." Since she didn't have further foaming issues, he didn't think it was necessary to pursue bloodwork. I think it's probably time. I am still unsure on the ultrasound though to evaluate for IBD. As I understand it, it's a multi-step process (ultrasound, possible endoscopy, biopsy of cells) that even if completed might be inconclusive in the end. I would definitely get it done if it would ultimately provide answers or rule stuff out completely but it doesn't seem like it will from what has been told to me. Since Grace is a high strung cat, I'm not sure I want to put her through all that. Of course, if things get any worse, I will do that as well.

ritz

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Sorry Gracie still isn't feeling well.
I know what you mean--Ritz gets "that look" and movements before throwing up. In her case, I believe the reason she throws up is excess acid due to feeding schedule (on weekdays she goes 10 to 12 hours without eating). On the advice of TCS posters, I give her a few pieces of freeze dried chicken when I get home, wait five minutes (I tell her, 'remember about the five minute rule.....'), and then I feed her her dinner (raw). I also notice that even then she sometimes throws up, to which I attribute any sudden noises or non-routine activities on my part.
I also learned (the vomit way) that Ritz cannot handle red meat (like beef) on an empty stomach, so on days I work, I fed her white meat, like chicken, quail or rabbit. On the weekends when I am home, she gets all red meat like beef, venison and tripe. Some days I'll give her red meat in the morning and white meat in the evening. I generally give her baby food (meat and broth only, no starch, no lemon, no spices) on the days she throws up. She always keeps down the 'second' course.
I thought about giving her Pepcid and may ultimately try that, but I wanted to go the non-drug way. Now I'm all for drugs when needed [Prozac for Ritz' FHS], but if there is an acceptable option, then I go with that option. And Ritz lives to eat....
It's possible but in my opinion--remember I am not a vet--excess stomach acid isn't a symptom of a more serious disease. In Ritz' case, it's because she's gone too long without food.
Does Gracie want to eat right after she throws up? Ritz does, so I'm not too worried about her throwing up.

aoi chan

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I highly recommend getting a blood test done to see what the heck is going on with your cat. And yes, nausea is symptom of something which could be anything at this point. Has the vet checked her mouth for teeth issues? That can be one possibility. It's not normal for healthy cats to vomit hairballs. They are suppose to poop it out. Maybe you can help by brushing her everyday.

stephenq

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Stomach acid is pretty much just that, stomach acid, like when humans get indigestion, and frequent vomiting can irritate the esophagus  which pepcid can help with as well, but sometimes pepcid is given with other medications if something else is going on.

Persistent vomiting is a good reason to do blood work as there are other causes that can be found in the blood.

As to IBD, figuring that all out is a step by step process, and there can be several gentle steps before you get to big time diagnostics which you may never need.  Unless there is weight loss, many vets will just treat the symptoms with various medications and diet change without going to ultrasounds, and biopsies.

The big guns are usually pulled out when the cat starts experiencing weight loss, something that might never happen even though a cat has IBD.  My cat had mild IBD for easily 8 years that was controlled until finally he started loosing weight (fairly suddenly) and that's when we went with more invasive diagnostics and bigger treatments, and happily its very well controlled at this point.

But you do want to rule out other issues like pancreatitis and so I think blood work sounds like a good idea/

samnmag

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I am very sorry that Grace has had a rough time and I know it is a worry.  I think all who have put replies in have had to go through rough times with a cat having health issues.  My Sam (who passed at 17 years) had diabetes; my Maggie (who passed at 13 years) had liver issues.  My Pepper, who I am blessed to still have has heart issues and my young girl, Emily, well...she so far she is fine but kooky.  Food issues with cats is such a common issue and sad to say, you have to work with it to find what works for your kitty.  What I do have to stress to you and please do not take this as a criticism is that you must remain calm.  I know it is easier said than done.  I have been there when that panic just wells up and you feel like the world is going to crumble because you don't know what to do for your kitty.  Cats, and for that matter, all pets, will pick up on your worry and concern and that will affect them.  I learned that lesson when my Sam had been diagnosed with diabetes.  The vet gave me a needle and told me to buy an orange and practice because he would have to have insulin shots every day.  Well, let me tell you that giving a shot to an orange is nothing like giving a shot to a cat who could hold off any vet.  The first time I had to do it I panicked, I cried, I got mad.  I couldn't do it.  I looked at my cat and thought this was the end.  Sam was a tough cat and he promptly walked up to me and bit me and it hurt.  BUT it also got my attention and I realized I wasn't helping him by panicking, worrying and being negative.  I called my vet, asked him if he could supervise my first shot.  After that, it was a breeze.  I learned that no matter what life throws at my kitties, I will not panic but expend that energy on digging into every resource to find an answer.  I know you love your kitty, that is obvious but your stress becomes their stress and it becomes a vicious cycle.  When it seems like you are getting nowhere, step back, take a deep breath and re-evaluate your past and present efforts.  You will find the answer among your efforts and the wonderful advice your CatSite followers have given.   Give your kitty a big hug and keep on letting us know how she is doing.

worriedsomuch

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hi everyone, thanks for much for the replies
. It's been and up and down weekend. Grace actually did not have morning nausea Fri-Sun which was great. However, yesterday was a different story (she woke up kind of nauseous). I did unfortunately find another hairball on Saturday morning though.
I found it in the corner when I woke up so I'm not sure when it occurred. It was still wet so I assume it happened overnight but I wonder. I can't be sure it was Grace either. It very well could have been her sister, or even my other cat Meadow. Both Grace and her sister are gray (the color of the hairball) and Meadow has a thick gray undercoat but is actually a brownish/black in color. This thing was MASSIVE. I'd actually classify it as 3 hairballs in one. It was wrapped around and around small bits of undigested food. I am thinking it was Meadow just based on the location. She's a former feral and enjoys hanging out sort of hidden and her behavior was "off" later that day too, appetite slightly less and such. I can imagine how irritating this was for her stomach too. Still I can't prove who did it so it's hard.

@Ritz I'm sorry poor Ritz vomits as well. It sounds like he has the problem like Grace where he can't go too long without food. It's odd with Grace, sometimes she's okay with 8 hours of not eating (overnight) or other times, in just 6 hours, she's smacking her lips and wakes me up in her "slurpy" way. Grace's appetite hasn't been affected by the throwing up that she has done. She's normal in every other way. That's good to know about the excess acid. I'm trying to go the more holistic route as well and not giving pepcid either. I do the treat thing as well, as suggested by someone here too, in the morning just in case she feels she is waiting too long as I get some stuff done before I feed them before I leave for work. I also give the Vet's Best treats with the slippery elm. I have to give her just half a tab a day (a quarter twice daily) as any more than that seems to upset her stomach worse.

@Aoi chan The vet has checked her teeth and they are fine as of last checkup. I agree about the hairballs. I think sometimes unfortunately they will happen no matter how much we try to prevent them but if they are getting to be frequent, then it's something to look into.

@StephenQ That's good information on IBD and I'm glad your cat is doing so well. I weigh Grace on the scale with me and she seems to be maintaining her weight which is between 9.4 and 9.6 pounds. She gained the weight back she had lost previously. She was 9 pounds in January. With the way the scale measures in tenths, she is now between 9 pounds 6 ounces to 9 pounds 9 ounces. I am going to do the bloodwork at her next visit and also bring up any treatment options the vet has in mind without going the ultrasound route.

@samnmag I'm so sorry about your departed kitties. I have had 2 others cats with illnesses that have passed so I know how awful it is. I also feel just as you describe like "the world is crumbling." I am doing my best to be calmer about it, however, and do as you said, take action. I am just going to keep working with the vet and making sure Grace is on a good diet so I can keep her, and my other cats well.

Last edited:

samnmag

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I know trying to figure out the perfect diet for kitties is hard.  I am working on trying to keep my Pepper's weight down but not deprive Emily.  One thing I do give them which has helped with the fur balls is the liquid Omega3.  It is a fish oil but does not smell.  I buy it at a Health Food Store that sells natural product for pets as well.  I mix it in their wet food.  I find it really helps Pepper's dry skin and they seldom throw up hairballs.  There is another wet food that I give them that is designed to help with hairballs and that is Chicken Soup for the Soul.  They have one for hairballs.  I get that at the pet food store.  It is a little more expensive but that is fine.  They get a can of that once a week and their regular canned and Metabolic (dry) the rest of the time.  I also ensure they have cat grass down for them to help with digestion.  They really like that.  Your perseverance will pay off.  It, unfortunately, just takes time.  You will  figure out how to rid of some of the hairballs before she vomits them.  There will always be some instances of vomiting them up (which is better than them stay in her) but you may be able to reduce it.  Look into the liquid Omega3 and check with the vet to see if they think it might work.  Please know that you and your wonderful cats are in my thoughts and if I can think of anything further, I will let you know right away.

worriedsomuch

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Thank you both again @StephenQ and @samnmag for the helpful responses. @samnmag I had not heard about Omega3 for hairballs but I guess it's worth looking into.

Unfortunately last night was a VERY difficult night. Grace was doing okay overall but then after her dinner she was in mid-groom and she started to gulp so right away I figured hairball. Then the coughing began, side heaving and everything. Then she gagged and up comes some thick, clear viscous liquid with strands of hair in it. I wouldn't say this was actual vomiting (but maybe it was???) as it seemed to come from her throat. No sooner had I dealt with cleaning it up, then my dear Meadow threw up ALL her food from basically half of the day, regurgitated as in huge chunks with a hairball at the end of it. I tried not to panic and cleaned everything up. I fed them one more time before bed. Then I was awakened at 3 AM by Grace being sick. She too threw up a bunch of regurgitated food with hair in it as well in 3 different spots. It was pretty upsetting
Then when I gave Meadow her breakfast this morning, she regurgitated again, but it wasn't the food I just gave her. It was still some of the pieces of Sheba turkey giblets from the night before. I am going to call the vet as soon as they open. I just don't know what's going on with my cats. I haven't seen anything like this with hairballs since my cat with lymphoma last summer. I have a very horrible case of deja vu

Last edited:

samnmag

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I am so sorry to hear that Grace and Meadow are still having difficulty.  I know you have tried numerous foods but in your last note, it sounds like the wet food you are giving them is chunky.  I am wondering if, right now, you should stick to the pates.  Also, these two may just have sensitive stomachs/digestive systems.  Science Diet has a Gastro food, both wet and dry.  Your vet should have this so you could ask about it to see if it might help Grace and Meadow.  Also, lamb is gentle on the stomach so if your pet food store carries it, you could try that.  Good senior cat foods are generally made to help with their digestion and also are gentle on the stomach.  Please let me know how you make out at the vets and remember, I have my fingers crossed that a simple solution if imminent.

aoi chan

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Have you tried a novel protein aka a protein that they have never eaten like for example venison or rabbit? It may be the protein itself that's causing the vomiting. Have you tried feeding them smaller meals throughout the day? Maybe slippery elm bark could help as well.

worriedsomuch

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise

I am so sorry to hear that Grace and Meadow are still having difficulty.  I know you have tried numerous foods but in your last note, it sounds like the wet food you are giving them is chunky.  I am wondering if, right now, you should stick to the pates.  Also, these two may just have sensitive stomachs/digestive systems.  Science Diet has a Gastro food, both wet and dry.  Your vet should have this so you could ask about it to see if it might help Grace and Meadow.  Also, lamb is gentle on the stomach so if your pet food store carries it, you could try that.  Good senior cat foods are generally made to help with their digestion and also are gentle on the stomach.  Please let me know how you make out at the vets and remember, I have my fingers crossed that a simple solution if imminent.
Meadow has never really had any digestive issues at all, maybe some regurgitation issues if she ate too fast but that's about it. I did stop the chunky food because after I spoke to my vet, he said to do that too. I talked to him about the whole situation and he understands how Meadow is a former feral and getting her to the doctor is very hard. Right now he said to monitor her closely and keep in touch with him. As for Grace, he wants to try her on some allergy meds. He feels like less itching will mean less grooming so less hairballs. I've tried Science Diet and my cats disliked it very much which is why I went to grain free LI Blue Buffalo. They only get a small amount of that (dry) and the rest is the wet food. I've been sticking to the sliced and flaked varieties as well as pates for now. I appreciate your continued support.

Have you tried a novel protein aka a protein that they have never eaten like for example venison or rabbit? It may be the protein itself that's causing the vomiting. Have you tried feeding them smaller meals throughout the day? Maybe slippery elm bark could help as well.
I've tried this, yes. I can't get Grace to eat any of it. I've tried mixing it with her old food and nothing seems to work. It's really difficult because she definitely has allergies. That's a given but how can I get her to eat something she refuses? Just getting her on a grain free diet took awhile and there are only certain foods and consistencies she will eat. Also I give her Vet's Best treats which contain slippery elm. However, I think the other ingredients aren't agreeing with her

Unfortunately Grace looked like she was going to vomit again Friday night after eating. She was gulping and this definitely looked like a "food made her sick" type gulp vs a hairball one. She managed to keep everything down but then Sunday, I found hairballs all over the floor. They weren't even so much hairballs, as thick, slick wads of hair, not even formed. I don't know who did it and it's so upsetting!
The color was definitely darker than Grace's hair, more like Meadow's color, but then again is color of hair that reliable? I find the hairballs can be lighter or darker when they throw them up. I just want this to stop.

Last edited:

samnmag

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Blue Buffalo is suppose to be a very good food.  I have given it to Pepper and Emily also.  Another one that I do give them is Weruva.  It is packed in a gravy but is suppose to be human grade food and though not a pate, it really isn't chunky or sliced either.  I also use to give them Wysong but I can't get it here anymore.  That is good that the vet is looking at allergies.  Pepper has an allergy to one of the trees in my back yard and even though he is an indoor cat, every fall, he gets spots and a sensitivity at the dock of his tail.  We usually head to the vets for a shot.  This year, I will increase the liquid Omega 3 and 6 and will get a jump on the situation.  Hang in there and let us know how you make out.